Episode 3 - THE NEWCOMERS

Bonanza Season 1 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 3 - THE NEWCOMERS

Post by Episode Guide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:50 pm

Date: September 26, 1959

Summary: Blake McCall and his partner John Pennington are headed across the Ponderosa, along with John's sister, Emily, who is engaged to McCall. Ben is concerned because they are in the business of hydraulic mining, and he is afraid his land will be damaged. Hoss is assigned the task of making sure the men leave the Ponderosa, and in the meantime falls in love with Emily, not knowing that she has a terminal illness.

Written by:Thomas Thompson
Directed by: Christian Nyby
Guest Stars: Inger Stevens (Emily Pennington); John Larch (Blake McCall); Robert Knapp (John Pennington); Charles Maxell (Krug); George J. Lewis (Jose Moreno); Byron Foulger (Justin Flannery); Diane Grey (Wyoming); Jon Lormer (Doc Riley); Martin Mason (1st Miner); Troy Melton (Merrill).

slideshow image courtesy of Tracy
These users thanked the author Episode Guide for the post (total 2):
Candy_GirlDavidIQ

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Re: Episode 3 - THE NEWCOMERS

Post by PJudith » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:09 pm

This episode makes me sad for a number of reasons. It's a beautiful Hoss love story but so painful to watch his heartbreak when he finds out that Emily will die young. :sob

And it's so sad because of the reality that Inger Stevens did die young at the age of 35 from an apparent suicide. She was so talented and beautiful yet very deeply troubled.

On a different note it is an interesting to see Hoss's first love (at least it's the first love we know about) played by a Swedish actress named Inger when later on it is revealed that Hoss's mother was Swedish and also named Inger. Both women had a cool Nordic beauty.
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post (total 2):
Candy_Girlsapphyr2018

Candy_Girl
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 15
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Candy

Escape To Ponderosa Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures In Memory David Canary
Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts The Coloring Book
PODs The Reading Club Fan Fic Fun September Song 2016
School Daze SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2016 Michael Landon Birthday 2016

View all badges

Post by Candy_Girl » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:35 pm

Wow, love your info on this, PJudith! I never knew that the actress died young, and of suicide! How depressing. The episode was well done, better than the two before it. Although it was kind of early to have a love story for one of the brothers, it was a good one and I loved Hoss in this. It was so sad at the end. Hate seeing Hoss so heartbroken. I knew that he came from a Swedish mother named Inger, but did not know that the actress who played Emily was Swedish, and named Inger. How very weird but kind of cool at the same time.

SteamEngine99
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 18
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss and Little Joe

September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 100 Posts Paint Me A Picture
Reader's Choice Level 2 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Art Tier 2 Springtime 2019
Reader's Choice Level 1 Don't Blink Fun With Art Guest Star POD
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 The Coloring Book

View all badges

Post by SteamEngine99 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:08 pm

This was a shocking episode for me, and it's still on my list of favorites.

I've always been a little picky about romance, but "The Newcomers" held my attention from beginning to end better than the two episodes before. I remember sitting with my sisters, trying to hold back tears as I watched, but I looked over at my youngest sister who had tears streaming down her cheeks and my job became harder.
One the episode was over, she and I hugged each other and laughed about how hard we were crying. Hoss certainly has a way of touching our hearts, especially with his love for Emily. <3
These users thanked the author SteamEngine99 for the post:
daisy60
"Pa, I'm powerful hungry! I ain't had but a couple or three breakfasts since mornin'.” ~ Hoss Cartwright from A Rose for Lotta

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:21 am

I agree-Dan did an amazing job on this. I was only a little girl when this was first shown so it was an episode that made me cry then and I still cry to this day! :sob
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
SteamEngine99

Lisal
Drover
Drover
Badges: 47
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 1 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 4 1,000 Posts
BINGO Snail Round-Up Game Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by Lisal » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:46 pm

Very sad episode and Dan was beautiful in it. I didnt know about the actress, poor girl. Such a sad thing to know she was in that much pain and turmoil.
That's my family... which means the odds have changed.
- Adam in "Toy Soldier"

Return to “Season 1”