Episode 2 - THE SUN MOUNTAIN HERD

Bonanza Season 1 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 2 - THE SUN MOUNTAIN HERD

Post by Episode Guide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:56 pm

Date: September 19, 1959

Summary: Mark Burdette and Early Thorne arrive in Virginia City planning to get rich by killing herds of antelope and charging the miners $10 a pound for the meat. When Ben discovers Chief Winnemucca and another Indian are stealing Ponderosa cattle because they are losing their source of meat, he catches on to what Burdette and Thorne are doing. He thwarts their plans for selling cattle at $20 each. Dressing as Indians, Burdette and Thorne attack miners who are buying cattle from Ben. This episode was narrated by Lorne Greene.

Written by: Gene L. Coon and David Dortort
Directed by: Paul Landres
Guest Stars: Barry Sullivan (Mark Burdette); Leo Gordon (Early Thorne); Bel Nelson (Glory); Karl Swenson (Carl Harris); Harry Bartell (Winnemucca); Ron Soble (Tokwa); Jeanne Bates (Stella Harris); Robin Warga (Michael Harris); Jay Hector (Harold Harris); Zon Murray (Miner).

Slideshow images courtesy of Bejules
These users thanked the author Episode Guide for the post:
DavidIQ

Candy_Girl
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 15
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Candy

Escape To Ponderosa Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures In Memory David Canary
Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts The Coloring Book
PODs The Reading Club Fan Fic Fun September Song 2016
School Daze SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2016 Michael Landon Birthday 2016

View all badges

Re: Episode 2 - THE SUN MOUNTAIN HERD

Post by Candy_Girl » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:38 pm

I didn't really like this episode too much. The plot was okay, but kid of weird, and it still has the Cartwrights seem like big money bullies. Ugh, I hated Thorne so much, I was ready for him to die right at the get go, lol.

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:22 pm

I watched this episode not too long ago, and it's been said that Pernell Roberts didn't care for the writing of the some of the lines. This episode was a perfect example of what he meant. Particularly the scene where they're chasing the bad guy. Ben tells Hoss and Joe to go one way and tells Adam to go with him.

Adam's response: "Right, Pa." Nothing else. Just that.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:37 pm

This episode was on today, and I just now realized that it wins the blue ribbon for the most uses of the show's name in the episode. It seemed like the writer was purposefully throwing in the word, "bonanza", everywhere he could just because he could. Gave me a good laugh. :lol
These users thanked the author Cartwright fan. for the post:
Sharry
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:56 pm

I watched this episode today also. This moment made me smile - a lot.

Like it or not, Joe had to endure a thorough looking over from the family. He knew there was no escape. :lol
Sun Mountain Herd -.jpg
Sun Mountain Herd -.jpg (24.88 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
Screencap by Nikky (I hope I did this right.)

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 302
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Dan's Birthday 2018

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:57 am

One thing I notice about this episode is that it's Joe who demands proof before they act and accuse a possibly innocent man, and Adam, who had jumped to the conclusion about who is responsible for killing the Indians. And when Joe later apologizes, saying that Adam was right, Adam says, "It's okay, younger brother." :puke That line is awful.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post (total 2):
SharryQuietgirl
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:34 pm

well, yes, in hindsight; but it's the kind of thing one says to a sibling to avoid excess mushiness, in the heat of the moment.
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 51

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers
FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:20 pm

Just what would you substitute for those bad lines?

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:14 pm

depends. Do I want to be a lazy writer, do I want to hit the timing for the episode, or do I really want to say something worthwhile?
(I kinda get, altho not from an actor's viewpoint, how easy it is to find poor writing a reason for ... well, throwing one's hat in the floor, at least. :winking)
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:32 am

Talking about bad dialog - at the very end:
Glory: He's dead. He's dead, isn't he?
Adam: He came here to strike it rich - find a bonanza - and now he's dead.
Glory: He found it. He found his bonanza. He found it just as he died. And that's better than never finding it at all, isn't it?
Adam: Yes, Glory, it's better. Much better.
:shrug What the heck?
These users thanked the author ellen for the post:
Sharry
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Return to “Season 1”