Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

100 Posts Fun Topic Starter

View all badges

Re: Episode 1 - A ROSE FOR LOTTA

Post by Yesm » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:44 am

Yes, "A Rose for Lotta" was definitely over the top, but that's what makes it so much fun to watch :laughing ! Ben's Biblical language, his pidgin Chinese to Hop Sing, Adam's referring to Little Joe's "French Quarter mother" in such a contemptible way (were we to assume that she was a "bad woman?"), LJ's fiddling around with a blade, and Hoss looking like some borderline sexual offender--oh, God, it was just awful :lol! The only thing lacking to make it a complete disaster was if they had included Ben, Hoss, and Joe singing the Bonanza theme! No wonder that Pernell didn't want to appear singing in that scene! It is so endearingly bad that I never miss it when it is shown! As I heard Michael Landon say on, I think, the Tonight Show, that after the cast had watched the rushes of ARfL, he had thought, "This turkey won't last six weeks.!" Thank goodness he was wrong!

bijallashkari
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: little joe

Post by bijallashkari » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:44 am

i loved it after i saw the late episodes

benep2017
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: BEN

Post by benep2017 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:15 pm

i lOVE it Bonanza Forever

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Agreed -- so much that worked out for the better!
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

Heloise
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Heloise » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:01 am

I started a rewatch from the beginning (this time in english) yesterday. ARFL is definitely an odd episode. Joe was pretty much Joe right from the beginning, but the other three..... But worst was Ben. It was like he couldn't speak in a normal voice, all this shouting. But it always looked that after his overly dramatic tirades they had to cut away from Ben, because he would break into fits of hysterical laughter. He never had a facial expression matching his outbreaks.

I was surprised by the quite big Chinese community, including family of Hop Sing, however. Because the only Hop Sing-centered episode in Season 13 (The lonely man) was based on the premise that he was, in fact, alone. No family, whatsoever.

Oh, and I still don't see where that kiss was coming from. And I loved the "feast thine eyes..."-line.
These users thanked the author Heloise for the post:
sapphyr2018

sapphyr2018
Badges: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Group Member New Member Post

View all badges

Post by sapphyr2018 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:18 am

Me also I wasn't even born yet. It was there at 3-4 years old I was in love with my big brother little joe (No relation) and I didn't like Adam nor Ben they were too mean at my little brother. :thud and they scared me. But I think back and I do have a great memory back then I really didn't have a father figure in my life so I took my big brother and Dan aka Hoss as my brother too. Haha funny ain't it when we think alike. My uncle Jim introduced me to the show at 3 or 4 years old. I'm now 55
AgnethaF wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:This was way before my time
Way before my time too. 12 years..

baseball8
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

Post by baseball8 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:12 am

I always try to fond and see first and last episodes of a show. This was not the first episode I had seen. It was a little of a shock when I first saw it. It was like "Mine, Mine , Mine." It was the Cartwrights against the world. Everyone in the world, they thought was our to take the Ponderosa for themselves. Luckily Lorne Greene Complains to David Dortort about this. He was the one who told Dortort, apparently, hey, you can't have these 4 guys battle the world. Let's open the doors. Let people in. It made them more likable and they were members of the community. Dortort probably would have done this in time but I don't know.

Lisal
Drover
Drover
Badges: 47
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 1 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 4 1,000 Posts
BINGO Snail Round-Up Game Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by Lisal » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:23 am

I didn't see this episode until the late 90's - at least 25 years after my first foray into Bonanza when I was a kid in the early 70s. Suffice it to say, it was a bit of a shocker and despite the unintentional racism and the overacting, I kind of like watching it. I know I'm in the minority and I will admit my shallowness... the main reason I think I like this episode is because I find Adam to be the epitome of handsomeness in it. Those arms, gah... even though he's got some horrible bits (i.e. French quarter mother, I'll break it), the scene where he throws his father and brother off him saying. " I'm all right" ... I find that incredibly sexy. I see what Melinda fell in love with, lol. Joe is also a doll except I don't like the scene with him in the laundry and his no Ticky no washy line. Yuck.

I understand why people are turned off by it. There's a lot I'm turned off by, too. But I like the ruggedness and I like seeing where they came from... and I like looking at Adam.
That's my family... which means the odds have changed.
- Adam in "Toy Soldier"

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:24 pm

It's great to look back at this 'rustic' episode. None of them thought the show was very good and that it is still going strong today is unbelievable. I was 7yrs old [ almost 8] and I don't remember which episode was the first one I watched. I became a Joe/Cochise fan right at the beginning and here I am still a fan of Bonanza almost 60 years later! :very happy

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:17 am

I recently got the official first season of Bonanza (fifty-year anniversary edition). If I were to start a list of everything that was wrong with this episode, it would never end. You had Ben threatening to kill any trespassers on his land, Adam wanting to string them from the highest tree, and all worried about Little Joe running off (alone!) with a girl!

One thing that irritated me especially was when Adam made remarks about Joe's mother, and Joe came back at him with a snarky remark about Elizabeth. Even though I've seen that episode twice or three times, it always shocks me every time to hear the two of them do that. It's like, who are these people? These aren't the Cartwright brothers we know and love. They're imposters! The real Joe and Adam wouldn't talk like that!
And what about how they kept calling Little Joe "boy"? Did that get on anybody else's nerves?

There's so much more, that if I keep going, like I said, it would never end. There were so many episodes that came to my mind while watching this that I could have used to cross-reference this one.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Return to “Season 1”