Episode 1 - A ROSE FOR LOTTA

Bonanza Season 1 Episodes
JOE AND WILL FAN
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 13
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: JOE,WILL,ADAM,BEN,HOSS,CLAY

Amazon Buyer Photographer Group Member 100 Posts
Boomers Million Don't Blink Hidden Treasures Summer 2012 Hidden Treasures Thanksgiving
Hidden Treasures Christmas Mix N Match Behind The Scenes SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2013
Easter 2013

View all badges

Re: Episode 1 - A ROSE FOR LOTTA

Post by JOE AND WILL FAN » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:09 pm

This was also quite a bit before my time, like 28 years. :grin
But that just shows how lasting this show is as far as fame goes.

Yeah thankfully this show was able to grow thanks to Lorne Greene and the others suggestions.

ljlover2001
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 30
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joseph

100 Posts Episode Summary Cock & Bull So You Think You Know Bonanza
Fun with 1's Break the record Valentine's Day 2010 Valentine's Day 2011
Letters to Santa 2012 Meet and greet chat Meet and greet chat Stuffed in chat
Chat Badge Fun Lorne Greene's Birthday 2010 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2011 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2013

View all badges

Post by ljlover2001 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:16 am

The original plan seemed to be to have the Cartwright family as an island fighting the whole world and that included Virginia City. They were the high and mighty Cartwrights who everyone disliked and it was considered unsafe for them to even venture into town, singly.
And Ben appeared to have raised his boys to shoot anyone who dared put their nose over their boundary.
Of course, as we all know, that did change and I really think that if it hadn't then we wouldn't still be talking about the show, as it wouldn't have lasted as long as it did.
I do watch ARFL and cringe, but I also do like some parts. Joe fighting off the thugs with a parasol as an épée, for instance, the way the family rallied around to find Joe and the scene when they do find him - that wallop Ben lands on Joe's butt and the kiss Adam lands on Lotta's lips, mmm, nice one.
Little Joe forever
Lynne
These users thanked the author ljlover2001 for the post:
Candy_Girl

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:41 pm

Ugh. I found this first episode difficult to get through without cringing. Just terrible. :yuck

But the end was kinda cute. :grin

These users thanked the author snapdragon for the post (total 2):
Candy_Girlflog3greg

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:41 pm

That kiss between Adam and Lotta in the end goes a long way to redeem the faults of the episode for me. The other scene that I think makes the episode worth watching is the gunfight between Adam and Poole with the dramatic closeups of their eyes.

debpet2 :adam
These users thanked the author debpet2 for the post:
LMN

Eswallace
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Post by Eswallace » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:47 pm

Yes I always thought they were way over the top but as with any new show they were still figuring out who they were. There was definitely flashes of who they would become and lots of caring.

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:40 am

The first time I watched this episode, I thought it was hilarious! The boys sneaking out just to see an actress? And Ben catching on later. So funny. Especially the last scene where he literally spanked Little Joe!
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

ShiningBright
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Cochise, Buck, Chub, Sport

Post by ShiningBright » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:14 am

I've seen this episode for teh first time yesterday, and I was disappointed to say the least. Little Joe was quite himself, I actually liked him even more than I usually do, he was adorable. Ben was close to his usual self, but... crazy! I mean he is choleric, but nonetheless mindful in other episodes, but in the pilot he was simply crazy. Hoss was unfriendly to a horse and talked bad about a lady in his introduction - but he got in character over the course of the episode. I don't even know what to say about Adam, but I think Little Joe could think of some words. The entire "yo mama" thing was painful, and while I understand that Joe himself taked a bit back about Adam's mother in return, I thought what he said about Inger was just as bad, especially since he didn't even know her. Still, the way Adam talked to Joe was mean and unfair. The script itself lacked in major points - especially dialogue - but I loved Hop Ling! I had no idea that Hop Sing had a father (who is a character, of course he'd have a father) and he was wonderful. And I liked Lotta - although I have no idea what her kiss with Adam was supposed to be. They didn't seem to like each other, and there was not even a kind of difficult chemistry. But I liked her - she had style. A backbone, if you know what I mean. All in all, I don't think the episode was bad in itself, but it was certainly a bad way to introduce the show, and the characters. Also, they were so keen to fight and shoot, and so aggressive, all of them. They didn't even seem to fully like each other.
These users thanked the author ShiningBright for the post:
Candy_Girl
The true perfection of man lies, not in what man has, but in what man is.
~Oscar Wilde

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:58 pm

Knowing the series as we all know it now makes it hard to reconcile with the first introduction of any of the characters in A Rose For Lotta. In many ways they don't resemble the Cartwright family we all grew to love.

Ben was scary as ##&%! As I was a little kid at the time, I'm sure I would have been afraid of him. ("Fire and brimstone!")

I remember Joe jumping around with the umbrella, which I didn't understand at the time. It made no sense to me because I didn't know what he was doing.

The 'yo mama' insults were weird, particularly as Adam and Joe weren't new at being brothers. They'd already been living together for years. I guess it established a few of the differences in their history at the time, but all of that went right over my head initially. I was impressed, however, with Hoss from the standpoint that he could pick up anyone and toss them across the room. That's a talent.

As for the kiss? I'd have kissed Adam, too, but it was all a little squicky to me at the time. One brother, then the other... I believed him when Adam announced he was 'the man' of the bunch, but so? (Remember - I was five.)

Despite all of that I was captivated by the four of them. Something kept me watching week to week. It worked out. :ranch
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post:
Candy_Girl

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:52 pm

Fortunately, those clever actors developed their characters rather quickly.
These users thanked the author Calamity for the post:
Candy_Girl
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:37 pm

Yvonne DeCarlo never looked lovelier.

But like everyone said, it was a good thing the characters developed quickly beyond caricature. As for the brothers arguing, I guess it was the quickest way to establish some of their differences, like different mothers.

But I was glad to see that Cartwright love and loyalty developed quickly.

I remember reading how Lorne Greene went to the producer with his concerns about Ben's tendency to want to shoot all trespassers.

He said something like- "The Ponderosa is HUGE. People would have to cross it. You can't expect everyone to ride miles around it. Ben wouldn't threaten to shoot every person who rode through."

I don't know the specifics, but I would imagine that huge spreads like that would have some public access roads through them. You couldn't just stop and build a cabin, but I doubt if Ben would be mad if you rode through his land!
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post (total 2):
Candy_GirlJulianna

Return to “Season 1”