Episode 1 - A ROSE FOR LOTTA

Bonanza Season 1 Episodes
Candy_Girl
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 15
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Candy

Escape To Ponderosa Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures In Memory David Canary
Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts The Coloring Book
PODs The Reading Club Fan Fic Fun September Song 2016
School Daze SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2016 Michael Landon Birthday 2016

View all badges

Re: Episode 1 - A ROSE FOR LOTTA

Post by Candy_Girl » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:27 pm

I just watched this episode for the first time a couple of days ago. I am starting to watch the episodes in order so that I become a full on fanatic. I would have to say that this episode was just weird. I liked the plot, and Lotta's character, but yeah, the Cartwrights seemed scary and threatening to me. They wanted everyone off their land, and were so rough with each other. I know that they were starting out though, so I can't really say it was bad. There were worse episodes than this one. Overall it was funny, weird, and kind of crazy. Loved the goose chase to find Joe, and the butt slap at the end, lol. I agree with Sharry: BEN WAS SO SCARY AS @#$%! LOL

ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 169
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Forum Moderator Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Host Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Host Valentine's Day
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018
Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 Cinco de mayo 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1

View all badges

Post by ellie » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:17 pm

This was actually the "Alternate Universe" Cartwrights. :rotfl
These users thanked the author ellie for the post:
Candy_Girl

tym
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

100 Posts Fun Topic Starter

View all badges

Post by tym » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:07 pm

DD wrote this episode. On the archive interview he said writers largely write about themselves, which has been said before. Wonder what part of him was in that episode. Not trying to slight DD, just wondering.
These users thanked the author tym for the post:
Candy_Girl

Cartwright kid65

Post by Cartwright kid65 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:16 am

:penbook In each series the pilot movie is a kind of "experiment", to see if it arrives at puplikum. So later they could still make change. Maybe this is one of the reasons the Cartwrights changed their attitude to the visitors of the Ponderosa. :ranch

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 146
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:21 am

Well, Lorne Greene threatened at one time to quit if the characters weren't changed to be more hospitable to visitors. Bonanza without Lorne Greene? Definite no-no.
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post (total 2):
Cartwright kid65Candy_Girl
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Cartwright kid65

Post by Cartwright kid65 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:08 am

:ben I think they also wanted, that Ben was more a "bible man". But that he didn't want to be ...

Bernie Cartwheel
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

PODs

View all badges

Post by Bernie Cartwheel » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:06 pm

I too watched this episode, and was surprised by the drastic difference in characterization of the Cartwrights. I'm glad that they changed them. :)
These users thanked the author Bernie Cartwheel for the post:
ellie
Michael Scott wrote:I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Curly Howard wrote:Well being as there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.
Image :ben :ranch2

JFCfan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 11
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Countdown to 1,111,111 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 The Reading Club
Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 1
Beta Reading Team Team Boomers Loses Healthy, Wealthy & Wise

View all badges

Post by JFCfan » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:27 am

Candy_Girl wrote:I just watched this episode for the first time a couple of days ago. I am starting to watch the episodes in order so that I become a full on fanatic. I would have to say that this episode was just weird. I liked the plot, and Lotta's character, but yeah, the Cartwrights seemed scary and threatening to me. They wanted everyone off their land, and were so rough with each other. I know that they were starting out though, so I can't really say it was bad. There were worse episodes than this one. Overall it was funny, weird, and kind of crazy. Loved the goose chase to find Joe, and the butt slap at the end, lol. I agree with Sharry: BEN WAS SO SCARY AS @#$%! LOL
I've just started watching again after a few years away from the fandom. I totally agree with Candy_Girl, it was so weird to see them so out of character and so aggressive to not only each other, but anyone they came in contact with. Sooo glad they changed. :yes
These users thanked the author JFCfan for the post:
Candy_Girl
Proud SJS sufferer!!

:bejules

Cartwright kid65

Post by Cartwright kid65 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:39 am

Last year I bought the first 6 episodes. I watched "A Rose for Lotta" the first time. I liked the follow, but I was also amazed at the behavior of the Cartwrights against "foreign". That was not the Cartwrights I know since I was a Little kid !!! :sad
I can imagine that the Producern hadn't change this behavior, the series hadn't might be gone so long..... :eyeroll

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 178
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:04 am

I think one of the difficult things this episode was trying to do was give a lot of information about the characters all at once. I think that's why we see a fight between Adam and Joe about their mothers, and why Joe speaks the way he does about Inger...it was meant to give some kind of portrait of all three of Ben's wives. I don't think it worked the way it was meant to, though. It just comes across as insensitive. That being said, I think there are a lot of really cute parts in this episode. I love Joe's fencing with the umbrella and his dancing with Lotta, and I also love Hop Ling.
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

Return to “Season 1”