Episode 19 - THE GUNMEN

Bonanza Season 1 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 19 - THE GUNMEN

Post by Episode Guide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:28 pm

Date: January 23, 1960

Summary: While traveling through Kiowa Flats, Hoss and Joe are mistaken for the infamous Slade Brothers.

Written by: Carey Wilbur
Directed by: Christian Nyby
Guest Stars: B. Bannerman Brown...Henry Hull Jubal...George Mitchell Alonzo McFadden...Douglas Spencer Twirly Boggs...King Donovan McFadden Boy...Dennis Holmes Lorna Doone Mayboy...Ellen Corby Amanda McFadden...Ann Graves, Clara Lou Kinsey...Jenny Maxwell Sonny...Billy McLean Anse Hadfield...Jonathan Gilmore Lisabelle Jones...Jody Fair Quisy McFadden...Dorothy Neumann Susan Hadfield...Dorothy Crehan Bob Miles...(uncredited extra and stunt double) Bill Clark...( uncredited extra and stunt double)

Slideshow gif image by Bejules

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 221
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator BINGO Spare Summer 2021 BINGO Participant Summer 2021 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2021
Haiku Poem 2021 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2021 Lorne Greene Birthday 2021 13th Anniversary
Christmas 2020 Christmas Bauble 2020 Dan Blocker Birthday 2020 Mike Landon Birthday 2020
Ponderosa Nightmares 2020 David Canary Birthday 2020 July 4 2020 15,000 Posts

View all badges

Re: Episode 19 - THE GUNMEN

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:10 pm

Happening across pictures from this episode today, I noticed that when ML plays the bad guy Joe's mistaken for (Little Jim, I think?) he wears a right-handed gun belt turned around backwards so the gun is on his left and the buckle is in the back! Why, I wonder? Couldn't he get a left-handed one?

I know ML wears another gun belt backwards in "Alias Joe Cartwright," but that's because he's playing right-handed Angus Borden...

(You can tell I've been overthinking this!)
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 184

Forum Moderator BINGO Spare Summer 2021 BINGO Participant Summer 2021 BINGO L Spring/Summer 2021
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2021 BINGO Snail Summer 2021 Chat Host New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021
Christmas 2020 Game Night 2020 Level 1 Good Housekeeping 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 December Delectables Christmas Card Team

View all badges

Post by ellie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:16 pm

I laugh through this episode every time. I love Ellen Corby and, in this episode, her "Ode to the Dearly Departed." :rotfl
These users thanked the author ellie for the post:
CowgirlAtHeart

daisy60
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 186
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO Participant Summer 2021 BINGO Winner Summer 2021 BINGO Gutterball Summer 2021
Oscar Chat 2021 25,000 Posts St Patrick's Day Limerick 2021 13th Anniversary
Organizing Secrets Happy New Year 2021 New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021 Christmas 2020
BINGO Participant xmas 2020 Christmas Bauble 2020 BINGO Gutterball xmas 2020 Halloween Recipes 2020

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:26 am

This is the first Hoss and Joe comedy. The two of them work so well together and still have me laughing all though this episode. I love when Ellen Corby and all of the girls visit Joe in jail. Great episode!

littlejoenice
Buckaroo
Buckaroo
Badges: 233
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

BINGO Participant Summer 2021 Spring Awakens 2021 Reader's Choice Level 14 Bonanza Ballads Level 24
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2021 Bonanza Ballads Level 23 Haiku Poem 2021 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2021
Bonanza Ballads Level 22 Lorne Greene Birthday 2021 Creative Projects 2021 The Missing Scene
Reader's Choice Level 13 13th Anniversary Big Library Story 2021 Winter Writing Challenge 2021

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:34 pm

CowgirlAtHeart wrote:Happening across pictures from this episode today, I noticed that when ML plays the bad guy Joe's mistaken for (Little Jim, I think?) he wears a right-handed gun belt turned around backwards so the gun is on his left and the buckle is in the back! Why, I wonder? Couldn't he get a left-handed one?

I know ML wears another gun belt backwards in "Alias Joe Cartwright," but that's because he's playing right-handed Angus Borden...

(You can tell I've been overthinking this!)
I never really looked too much at the gun-belts. And if you overthink it, who cares? Isn't that we, as devoted fans, literally devote our lives to? :laughing
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
CowgirlAtHeart
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

TNTrue
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 3

Dan Blocker Birthday 2020 100 Posts New Member Post

View all badges

Post by TNTrue » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:31 pm

The acting in this is top notch and I adore Ellen Corby, but I don't love the script. And if this was supposed to be 1861 or so, then the women whining about the lack of men is just silly. For the most part, men outnumbered women by a goodly margin on the frontier, and throughout the west for a good long while. Texas, however, like most of the Confederacy, did have a shortage of men some places in the east after the Civil War. But in a town like this one, it was probably like the ones on the edge of this map, when the men outnumber the women by ten to twenty percent or more.

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servle ... Search.htm

For the record, I've always been skeptical of the early stories where the Cartwrights are in Texas buying cattle. A good day's progress with a cattle herd was ten miles, and that was over the grassy lands between Texas and Kansas. El Paso, which is about the westernmost point of Texas, is 1108 miles from Carson City, and most of that trip would be through deserts with next to no browse. A more sensible route would be probably double your time. Plus longhorns could drink up to thirty gallons a day and got right cranky when denied it!

Return to “Season 1”