Episode 1 - A ROSE FOR LOTTA

Bonanza Season 1 Episodes
daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 141
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer

View all badges

Re: Episode 1 - A ROSE FOR LOTTA

Post by daisy60 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:45 pm

Yes, the first episode was not very good. It was written by David Dortort, Bonanza's creator and producer. Even the actor's themselves didn't like the episode. A lot of things soon changed. First to go was the way Ben wanted to kill anyone who trespassed on his land. Lorne suggested they welcome guests to the Ponderosa. The characters of the show soon developed and became more the way the actors themselves really were. I watch ARFL now just to see that funny fight scene between Adam and Joe and then Hoss stepping in. It's hilarious now to watch back on it! :rotfl

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:32 am

daisy60 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:45 pm
I watch ARFL now just to see that funny fight scene between Adam and Joe and then Hoss stepping in. It's hilarious now to watch back on it! :rotfl
That fight scene was something, right? So out of character for Adam and Joe to deliberately pick a fight, and over some names they'd called each other's mothers. But there was also something weird in that scene, too. Notice how Adam came in from the side of Ben's desk? There wasn't a door there, was there?
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 302
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Dan's Birthday 2018

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Not to be contrary, but other than Ben's over the top behavior at the beginning, I liked it. As for the racial aspects -- Ben mimicking Hop Sing with "velly solly, velly solly", this was supposed to be in the 1800's and one can't look at the piece with contemporary eyes and mindset. Although there is such a thing as feminine criticism and racist criticism -- and many others that college students use to discuss literature, it really serves no purpose, IMO, to see it that way.

But the main thing is that there was a lot of information to be dispersed in this expositional episode -- the size of the Ponderosa, the tightness of the clan despite their conflicts within their family, and the writers used a clever means to set out the maternal contributions for the sons -- Hoss, with Joe explaining the name to Lotta, Joe and Adam through the insult exchange. It also set Adam as top dog with the women when it is he who kisses Lotta and leaves her with a smile on her face. (Later it became Joe who was the ladies' man but in the early season, it was Adam who knew his way around the females.)

I saw this for the first time years ago on a January 1st when TV Land was showing the first episodes of many TV Shows. I loved it and PR's toupee was still sitting down at his hairline making him look so boyish with the lock falling over his forehead -- loved him. But thank goodness Adam lost his NE accent and Joe dropped his southern accent -- those can't be inherited.

And I like the fight scene --there should have been more IMO, as brothers in that time would have fought more physically than with words.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
Julianna
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Drifter
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 12
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 PODs Oscar Chat 2019
Valentine's Day 2019 Christmas 2018 Hidden Treasures Halloween 2018
Time For A Commercial Break 4 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Drifter » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Ok, probably not the most memorable episode, but everything has a start somewhere! Personally I didn’t particularly mind the Adam/Joe fight if it was liken to a flashback of their younger years. They were definitely very clannish...Ben is too loud angry...Adam is harsh, and too “tough guy”... Hoss can’t handle himself in front of women and isn’t demonstrating himself the gentle giant we love...although apart from the accent, Joe was closest to being himself, being “young” and carefree.

However, there are two highlights in my opinion, and both involve four letter words: “Chaps” and “Kiss.”
These users thanked the author Drifter for the post:
Julianna

Return to “Season 1”