Forum Moderator Group Member Saint Patrick's Day 2012 Valentine's Day 2012
Summer 2012 Summer 2013 Summer 2014 Thanksgiving 2013
Christmas 2013 Easter/Passover Valentine's Day 2010 Easter Egg Hunt 2012
Easter 2013 Letters to Santa 2012 Holiday Story St. Patrick's Day

View all badges

Ben Quote - Week Apr. 27

Post by Pearson »

From 'The Lady from Baltimore:

Deborah: I'm not sorry for what I did. Not one iota.

Ben: Well I can understand that Deborah.

Deborah: You, with all your money and the empire of the Ponderosa. How could you understand ?

Ben: I didn't inherit the Ponderosa. I worked to build it.

Deborah: But you've never known what it's like to be really poor. To scrimp and pinch and sacrifice. To feel ashamed, humiliated and even angry at poverty. And to swear by all that's holy that the same thing won't happen to your daughter.

Ben: Deborah, to want the best for your child, to fight for it is a fine thing but to force her into your idea of her future, that's wrong.

Deborah: Wrong ? Wrong for me to want the security and peace of a marriage for my daughter ?

Ben: Money can't guarantee that. Only love.

Deborah: Love. Horace & I married for love. Now look at us.

Ben: I am looking. And I see a lovely young girl who loves her mother so much that she tries to obey her even though it almost breaks her heart. And I see a husband who loves his wife still, in spite of the indignities and humiliations she heaps on him. I see two people who love you and they're waiting for you, outside. I wrote a friend of mine, a publisher in San Francisco. I'm almost certain he'll give Horace a job. It'll be a fresh start for all of you. Go with them.

This topic has 10 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Ben's Bunkhouse”