The Barkleys Were in Danger When they Left the Ranch

If you like the westerns we’re currently discussing, you may have liked other western TV shows. So why don’t we discuss them here! Post about western conventions (non Bonanza), the shows, the actors and anything you want to discuss.

Moderator: Tracy

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Re: The Barkleys Were in Danger When they Left the Ranch

Post by RedShirt » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:59 pm

Can't speak to the "Old West." Can speak to Texas in the 60s, and since.
Women, especially on farms and ranches and in small-town businesses, like the men, work until the job's finished.
The saying is "from can-see to can't-see" for farmers and ranchers, but in point of fact if the sun goes down and
the job's not done, you just keep on -- I've strung barbwire and set posts by the headlights of a pickup after we got
all the cows back in the pasture. My mom, until she was in her 80s, could work me (or anybody else my age) under
the table any time she took a notion to.
These users thanked the author RedShirt for the post:
Sharry
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

Smorgana
Drover
Drover
Badges: 49
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

BINGO Snail Summer 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Snail Valentine's Day 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Coffee with the Cartwrights
Surprise Level 1 Break The Record Level 2 Break The Record eff 2018 Summer 2018
FFW 2018 Games 1,000 Posts Without A Trace 7 BINGO Spare Games Edition

View all badges

Birthday

Post by Smorgana » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:53 pm

I am going to have to see if I can find that YouTube video. I love Bonanza more but I do enjoy Big Valley especially Victoria and Jarrod and Nick ...

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:44 pm

One side of my family consisted of a lot of farmers and ranchers. It's true - you just kept going until things got done.

Working with cattle necessitated a different way of life for sure. The cows my uncle owned were dairy cows. I remember the evening milking routine - suspect I was not awake when the early morning milking was due. Aside from that I remember gathering fresh eggs from the chicken house and whatever we wanted from the garden we got that day. I grow a few vegetables in my garden nowadays, but nothing on the scale that my family did in my childhood. And fresh fruit? The trees were out back. I often miss those days.
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post:
RedShirt

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:36 pm

RedShirt wrote:My mom, until she was in her 80s, could work me (or anybody else my age) under the table any time she took a notion to.
I love this description of your mom, RedShirt. :hearts
These users thanked the author PlatoofthePonderosa for the post:
RedShirt
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:58 pm

PJudith wrote:I think she was the type of character that Bonanza had in mind when they said that Laura Dayton would be a tough, no nonsense frontier woman. But unfortunately they wrote her as a delicate flower.
In reality, women in the old west would have probably been tough and more like Victoria Barkley than Laura Dayton and not prone to having "headaches" every other day when things didn't go their way.
Nick Barkley is not impressed.
Nick is not impressed.png
Nick is not impressed.png (426.81 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
These users thanked the author PlatoofthePonderosa for the post (total 2):
JuliannaPJudith
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:25 pm

THAT photo.
Suddenly I understand where my liking for Han Solo came from (yes, I mean in the '77 original).

What did Laura do, really?
These users thanked the author RedShirt for the post:
PlatoofthePonderosa
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:37 pm

RedShirt wrote:THAT photo.
Suddenly I understand where my liking for Han Solo came from (yes, I mean in the '77 original).

What did Laura do, really?

What did Laura DO? Well apparently she spent a lot of time hating her husband! :grin She seemed like a pretty cold woman and when he sought "comfort" elsewhere, it was her chance to make his life miserable instead of trying to make his home life pleasant. No wonder he was hardly ever there!
Aside from hating Frank, she spent a lot of time fixing her hair and make-up thus allowing her foreman and ranch hands time to snooze unsupervised.
She spent time choosing dangerous pets for her young child!

She wrote tearful letters to Aunt Lil complaining about the dismal state of her love life.

After she got Adam, she spent a lot of her time fretting that he wasn't interested in wedding plans (what guy is? :no ) and changing her allegiance from one Cartwright to another.

And with all the weeping and whining and headaches, she didn't have much time for anything else. LOL

Of course you were probably just asking a rhetorical question!

PlatoofthePonderosa- very funny quote by Nick, er, Ward!
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post:
RedShirt

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 139
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:31 am

All those episodes mentioned in the first post I've seen, by the way, and own. I never really thought about how much danger they seemed to be in, though. I mean, after all, isn't that typical for any Western? Boy lives at home, boy leaves home, winds up in trouble? I always thought that natural. :laughing
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Return to “There Were Other Westerns?”