10 Big Valley Facts

If you like the westerns we’re currently discussing, you may have liked other western TV shows. So why don’t we discuss them here! Post about western conventions (non Bonanza), the shows, the actors and anything you want to discuss.

Moderator: Tracy

BuckAndCochise
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 26
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben & Candy

Oscar Chat2017 Group Member 100 Posts 1,000 Posts
5,000 Posts Fun Topic Starter PODs History of the Old West POD
FanFic Writer Badge In The Headlines September Song 2013 Sadie Hawkins Day 2013
Hoss' Excellent Adventure Postcards From The Past Holiday Postcards 2013 The Heat Is On

View all badges

10 Big Valley Facts

Post by BuckAndCochise » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Because why not.

10) The only real ages known in the entire series were Audra and Heath's. In A Day of Terror, Audra is 19 and in the series opener Palms of Glory, Heath is 24.

9) There is some truth about a cast member in one episode. In By Fires Unseen Victoria mentions that Jarrod nearly died from Pneumonia at age 6, something that happened to Richard Long in real life which leads to number eight.

8) Ever wondered why Jarrod always got knocked out so much? Well due to having a weak heart caused by the Pneumonia as well as a heart attack in 1957, Richard Long couldn't do as much stunt work as the rest of his castmates so instead of having a double do all the work, it was just easier to have him get knocked out and lay there.

7) The role of Nick Barkley was written specifically for Peter Breck while Barbara Stanwyck had a hand in picking who would portray her eldest son. Nick and Jarrod were meant to be complete opposites in almost every way possible, their voices especially, and Stanwyck, who had worked with Long thirteen years prior, suggested him. Nick was loud and Jarrod was always quiet much like Breck and Long were in real life.

6) Lee Majors had worked as a stuntman before landing his role as Heath so most of the stunts that Heath does is Lee Majors himself.

5) Recognize the horses? You should! If you watched any Western at the time, all the horses had come from the exact same ranch.

4) Barbara Stanwyck had the role of Victoria Barkley changed from a damsel in distress to the BA mother we all know that could fight, shoot, and ride as good if not better than any of her sons.

3) The show was based loosely on The Hill Ranch near Stockton. The patriarch of the family, Lawson Hill, was murdered in 1861 and his wife, Euphemia, became the head of the ranch where she ran it with her one daughter and three sons.

2) Linda Evans was so nervous before her first scene, Barbara Stanwyck stood behind her and just as Evans went to walk through the door, Stanwyck kicked her in the butt, saying that that was definitely presence that was needed

1) Lee Majors beat out thousands of men for the role of Heath including Burt Reynolds. He had went to a small church and prayed before his audition and once he discovered he had gotten the role, he went back to the same church and thanked God for allowing him to get the part.
"I'm gonna have a little sit down and feel sorry for myself." - Arthur Morgan

"You gotta love yourself a fire." - Dutch van der Linde

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Re: 10 Big Valley Facts

Post by ellen » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:21 pm

BuckAndCochise wrote:
8) Ever wondered why Jarrod always got knocked out so much? Well due to having a weak heart caused by the Pneumonia as well as a heart attack in 1957, Richard Long couldn't do as much stunt work as the rest of his castmates so instead of having a double do all the work, it was just easier to have him get knocked out and lay there.
I think also it would have been out of character for Jarrod to be brawling like his brother Nick, so this makes a lot of sense!

He was born in 1927, so he was 29 or 30 when he had that first heart attack. (I checked Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Long_(actor) ) With such a weak heart, I was surprised to also see that he was a heavy smoker and drinker. Live hard, die young, and leave a good lookin' corpse.
These users thanked the author ellen for the post:
BuckAndCochise
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

BuckAndCochise
Cowboy
Cowboy

Hoss' Excellent Adventure Postcards From The Past Holiday Postcards 2013 The Heat Is On

View all badges

Post by BuckAndCochise » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:14 pm

ellen wrote:
BuckAndCochise wrote:
I think also it would have been out of character for Jarrod to be brawling like his brother Nick, so this makes a lot of sense!

He was born in 1927, so he was 29 or 30 when he had that first heart attack. (I checked Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Long_(actor) ) With such a weak heart, I was surprised to also see that he was a heavy smoker and drinker. Live hard, die young, and leave a good lookin' corpse.
Ain't no telling. I have a personal opinion as to that but I don't think it'd be right to say it here.

And I agree although when Jarrod got mad enough it was an unpleasant thing for everyone involved!

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Cool facts! I especially like the last one.
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
BuckAndCochise
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:17 pm

I believe it was Richard Long's heart that was the reason for his early death. That is funny about Barbara Stanwych kicking Linda Evens in the behind!
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
BuckAndCochise

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Sad that Richard Long died so young. He had a bad heart. From what I read about him, it may have run in the family. His father died fairly young. And his own son died when he was about fifty from the same heart condition. Some people like to attribute it to smoking but I think genetics plays a big role. We've had a number of heavy smokers in our family who died of old age in their late seventies or eighties. No heart attacks.

Did you know that Richard Long's first wife was a cousin ofLucille Ball? Suzan Ball. She went to Hollywood to pursue an acting career. She was diagnosed with tumors in her leg and it was amputated. She and Richard Long married, but she died about a year later at the age of twenty-one. He sure had a lot of tragedy in his brief life. Still so handsome though!
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post:
BuckAndCochise

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:00 pm

PJudith wrote:Sad that Richard Long died so young. He had a bad heart. From what I read about him, it may have run in the family. His father died fairly young. And his own son died when he was about fifty from the same heart condition. Some people like to attribute it to smoking but I think genetics plays a big role. We've had a number of heavy smokers in our family who died of old age in their late seventies or eighties. No heart attacks.

Did you know that Richard Long's first wife was a cousin ofLucille Ball? Suzan Ball. She went to Hollywood to pursue an acting career. She was diagnosed with tumors in her leg and it was amputated. She and Richard Long married, but she died about a year later at the age of twenty-one. He sure had a lot of tragedy in his brief life. Still so handsome though!
i didn't know that! That's quite interesting. Still, so sad, though. I'm glad, though, that he didn't let it affect his acting. It would've been horrible!
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
BuckAndCochise
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

BuckAndCochise
Cowboy
Cowboy

View all badges

Post by BuckAndCochise » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:07 pm

PJudith wrote: Did you know that Richard Long's first wife was a cousin ofLucille Ball? Suzan Ball. She went to Hollywood to pursue an acting career. She was diagnosed with tumors in her leg and it was amputated. She and Richard Long married, but she died about a year later at the age of twenty-one. He sure had a lot of tragedy in his brief life. Still so handsome though!
Just from something I had read in an old. OLD. magazine article, I think that she was the love of his life and when she died, he just stopped caring.

Oh and another lol bit of material, RL hated watching TV. Didn't like it yet that's where all his success came from.

Return to “There Were Other Westerns?”