The Wild Wild West.

If you like the westerns we’re currently discussing, you may have liked other western TV shows. So why don’t we discuss them here! Post about western conventions (non Bonanza), the shows, the actors and anything you want to discuss.

Moderator: Tracy

heartbeatgirl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 167
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 7 Guess The Guest Star
Anniversary Quiz Fun With Quotes 2017 Lorne Greene Birthday 2017 BINGO Search Emoticon Edition
BINGO Snail Emoticon Edition Without A Trace 5 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017
Michael Landon's Birthday 2008 Sadie Hawkins Day 2016 Group Member 100 Posts

View all badges

The Wild Wild West.

Post by heartbeatgirl » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:31 pm

The Wild Wild West was a different genre of western, a cross between a spy series and a western show. It concerned the adventures of James West, a handsome gunslinger and Artemus Gordon, an inventor and master of disguise, who become the first Secret Service Agents, working for President Ulysses S. Grant. They travelled the west in their specially equipped locomotive "The Wanderer", fighting many villains en-route including Dr Loveless (Michael Dunn), who reprised his role in ten episodes.
The show ran for four seasons from 1965 - 1969, and also spawned two television movies in 1979 and 1980, starring the original stars Robert Conrad as West and Ross Martin as Gordon.
A big screen movie adaptation was made in 1999 with Will Smith as West and Kevin Kline as Gordon, but many fans of the show said it bore little resemblance to the original.

These users thanked the author heartbeatgirl for the post:
the modeller

the modeller
Drover
Drover
Badges: 102
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All 4 Cartwrights!

Forum Moderator Sadie Hawkins Day Sadie Hawkins Day Group Member
100 Posts 1,000 Posts half million posts Photographer
Referral Badge BOOMers BOOMbox Boomers Contribution Photo fixer
Connect Bonanza to History History of the Old West POD Behind The Scenes Non Fiction Bio

View all badges

Re: The Wild Wild West.

Post by the modeller » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi, I'm back! :rodeo

I remembered this series from the 1960's because of...yes, you've guessed it...the trains! :laughing

It's only now that the series is being shown once more here in the UK that I have found out more about the locomotives used, and why there were discrepancies from story to story, even occasionally on the same episode!

The shows pilot was filmed using Railtown 1897's famous Sierra Railroad's No 3, a 4-6-0 locomotive that was used extensively in a lot of films and early television series, like Casey Jones and Petticoat Junction. The engines number was changed to 5 for the shoot.

During the series filming, footage of Virginia & Truckee's No 22 INYO was used, a 4-4-0 locomotive that was already a film star many times over. The smoke box number 22 was changed to 8 so the train footage could be flipped horizontally without the number appearing reversed.

For the two follow on films starring the original stars, Virginia & Truckee's No 11 RENO was used.

Shooting for the 1999 movie, Baltimore & Ohio's No 25 WILLIAM MASON was used as the Wanderer, with No 5 on the front.

I'm really enjoying watching these episodes again as I don't remember them at all. Ross Martin was such a clever man as he came up with his own disguises and voices for each story. No-one quite knew what to expect when the story called for him to appear 'undercover'; the first they knew was when he turned up on set for the take. What a great actor and entertainer.

:modeller
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." - Imagine by John Lennon

Guitarlover
Drover
Drover
Badges: 11
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Like us on fb 100 Posts 1,000 Posts Boomers Million
Hidden Treasures March 2016 Healthy, Wealthy & Wise Healthy, Wealthy & Wise Healthy, Wealthy & Wise
Meet & Greet Chat Stuffed in chat Meet & Greet Chat

View all badges

Post by Guitarlover » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:37 pm

the modeller wrote:

I'm really enjoying watching these episodes again as I don't remember them at all. Ross Martin was such a clever man as he came up with his own disguises and voices for each story. No-one quite knew what to expect when the story called for him to appear 'undercover'; the first they knew was when he turned up on set for the take. What a great actor and entertainer.

:modeller
I never knew this about Ross Martin. Artie was far and away my favorite of the two! Thanks for the info!

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 312
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Librarian Christmas Card Team Michael Landon Birthday 2019
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by patina » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:48 pm

I enjoy this show, too.

Thanks for the train info, Modeller! I know the same train car (the one with the curtains) was used on Big Valley on occasion.
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

heartbeatgirl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Anniversary Quiz Fun With Quotes 2017 Lorne Greene Birthday 2017 BINGO Search Emoticon Edition
BINGO Snail Emoticon Edition Without A Trace 5 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017

View all badges

Post by heartbeatgirl » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:08 am

the modeller wrote:

I'm really enjoying watching these episodes again as I don't remember them at all. Ross Martin was such a clever man as he came up with his own disguises and voices for each story. No-one quite knew what to expect when the story called for him to appear 'undercover'; the first they knew was when he turned up on set for the take. What a great actor and entertainer. :modeller

Ross Martin would read the script. Then he did a pen and ink drawing of the character he was going to play, down to the last detail, glasses, moustache, clothes, posture, shoes, etc. Then he brought the sketch to make-up man Don Schoenfeld, and together they molded his face until it looked like the drawing.

From my collection.

Calamity Liz
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 68
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Candy

Escape To Ponderosa NaNoWriMo 2012 Group Member 100 Posts
1,000 Posts 5,000 Posts Boomers Million Photographer
Professional Photographer PODs History of the Old West POD Guest Star POD
Non Fiction Bio Guest Star Bio FanFic Writer Badge Ponderosa Murder Mystery 3

View all badges

Post by Calamity Liz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:29 am

That's great info about Ross Martin, Artemus was by far my fave character on the show. Love the pics of the trains!!!

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:23 pm

I remember that show.
www.png
www.png (106.45 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
Sometimes I wonder if Little Joe's blue suit wasn't in competition with the one Robert Conrad wore.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

heartbeatgirl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

View all badges

Post by heartbeatgirl » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:41 pm

We are currently watching the first season which was black and white, so it's difficult to appreciate the blue of Jim West's eyes, let alone his suit. :grin
However, Cinematographer Ted Voightlander (Bonanza regular) was nominated for an emmy for his work on the first season, which was definitely darker in tone!

From my collection.
These users thanked the author heartbeatgirl for the post:
Calamity

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:42 pm

Love that picture even if I can't see the blue in his eyes.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

Fanofoldtvshows
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 382
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 December Delectables Christmas Card Team Reader's Choice Level 6
Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Reader's Choice Level 5
September Song 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading Special 2019 Summer Reading 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2

View all badges

Post by Fanofoldtvshows » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:24 pm

I don't think I saw any episodes. Might check to see if any episodes,are uploaded on YouTube.

Return to “There Were Other Westerns?”