Gunsmoke ~ 1955-1975

If you like the westerns we’re currently discussing, you may have liked other western TV shows. So why don’t we discuss them here! Post about western conventions (non Bonanza), the shows, the actors and anything you want to discuss.

Moderator: Tracy

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 332
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4 Summer Reading 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Re: Gunsmoke

Post by Tracy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:44 pm

snapdragon wrote:Fun fact: both Burt Reynolds and Pernell Roberts were born in Waycross, Ga.
For Burt, some sites say Waycross, some say Lansing, Michigan:

http://www.biography.com/people/burt-reynolds-9542577

From NNDB: Reynolds is frequently reported as having been born in Waycross, Georgia, and in fact Reynolds on many occasions has given Waycross as his birthplace. This is incorrect. He was born in Lansing, Michigan, where his family resided at least from 1923 until 1941.

Burt was born in 1936.

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:18 pm

Wonder why he fibbed about it? Maybe he meant "hometown"?
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Raina_30
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 4
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

100 Posts Healthy, Wealthy & Wise Healthy, Wealthy & Wise Healthy, Wealthy & Wise

View all badges

Post by Raina_30 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:16 pm

gidget wrote:I enjoy watching Gunsmoke, but I hate that Miss Kitty and Matt never married.
I never quite understood why Miss Kitty and Matt never got married. It's obvious that they were in love but why didn't they get married or did it not say why? Anyone out there that can clear that up for me?

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4 Summer Reading 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:13 pm

Raina_30 wrote:I never quite understood why Miss Kitty and Matt never got married. It's obvious that they were in love but why didn't they get married or did it not say why? Anyone out there that can clear that up for me?
There were a few episodes that touched on the subject. Kitty even left Dodge in one episode because she couldn't bear seeing Matt putting his life on the line every single day.

I can't remember the episode title, but Matt once told Kitty he couldn't consider a marriage or raising a family because he was devoted to being a US Marshall and it wouldn't be fair for his wife and family to worry about him - he'd be gone often, with days between of not knowing if he was okay or not.

When Amanda Blake left the show, Kitty was barely mentioned again - until one of the TV movies years later.

Raina_30
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 4
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

100 Posts Healthy, Wealthy & Wise Healthy, Wealthy & Wise Healthy, Wealthy & Wise

View all badges

Post by Raina_30 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:58 pm

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess I just never really understood the two of them.

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 307
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer
Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:46 pm

In his memoirs which I'm reading, But Enough About Me, Reynolds writes:

If there's any confusion about my birthplace, it's my fault. I was born in Lansing, Michigan. We moved to Florida when I was five. I grew up a Southern boy who didn't want to be a Yankee, so for a long time I told people I was born in Waycross, Georgia.

Why Waycross, Georgia? I liked the sound of it.

p 210
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
Sharry
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:36 pm

Regarding Matt and Kitty: their first on-screen kiss was in the episode "P.S. Murry Christmas" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0594302/?ref_=tttr_tr_tt ) The trivia for this episode says that the peck on the cheek Kitty gave Matt was the closest they got to kissing on the show.

This site has a description of the episode: http://www.christmastvhistory.com/2014/ ... -1971.html It includes a picture of the kiss as well as a picture of some of the guest stars, including Erin Moran in a horrible blonde wig! Plenty of Bonanza alumni in this episode:
Jeanette Nolan - "Old Charlie"
Buck Taylor - "The Hostage"
Jodie Foster - "A Place To Hide"
Jack Elam - "The Spitfire", "A Bride For Buford", "Honest John", and 2 Bonanza TV movies
Maudie Prickett - "The Tax Collector"
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Karol
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 189

Reader's Choice Level 1 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Poetry Portfolio BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Fun with Captions Level 1
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West

View all badges

Post by Karol » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:48 pm

Gunsmoke (in german "Rauchende Colts") was wellknown in Germany too. I know that Ken Curtis had a wonderful singing voice - I have heard him several times. He was also a guest star in a German TV Show on Channel ZDF with his song "Tumbling Tumbleweeds". This show was presented by our very famous singer, actor and entertainer Freddy Quinn (his father came from the USA). I remember Freddy and Ken sang together a duet. Ken Curtis record a Single in Germany it's called "Ein Bier, ein Trinken" published by Polydor.
These users thanked the author Karol for the post (total 2):
TracySharry
Don't worry, things usually work out if you want it enough. (Adam in "The Jackknife")
Don't dream your life - live your dream. (Tommaso Campanella)

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

View all badges

Post by ellen » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:33 pm

For those of you who get the MeTV channel - Starting on Monday Jan 2, 2017 they will be broadcasting the original 30 minute episodes, starting with the very first episode. They will be showing 2 episodes per day at 1pm Eastern time (check your local listings).

A lot of the scripts from the early shows were taken directly from radio scripts.

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:14 pm

ellen wrote:For those of you who get the MeTV channel - Starting on Monday Jan 2, 2017 they will be broadcasting the original 30 minute episodes, starting with the very first episode. They will be showing 2 episodes per day at 1pm Eastern time (check your local listings).

A lot of the scripts from the early shows were taken directly from radio scripts.
I love the earliest episodes!

Return to “There Were Other Westerns?”