The Rebel

If you like the westerns we’re currently discussing, you may have liked other western TV shows. So why don’t we discuss them here! Post about western conventions (non Bonanza), the shows, the actors and anything you want to discuss.

Moderator: Tracy

pegasus
Buckaroo
Buckaroo
Badges: 146
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Site Design Contributor BINGO After Party BINGO Winner Round-Up Game BINGO Strike Round-Up Game
BINGO Snail Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Fun With Art Tier 2 Fun with Captions Level 1
Summer 2018 The Coloring Book Christmas 2017 Modern Art
BINGO Search Emoticon Edition Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 Group Member

View all badges

The Rebel

Post by pegasus » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:52 pm

I always enjoyed "The Rebel", which premiered in 1959. The only regular on that show was Johnny Yuma, played by Nick Adams. The show lasted for 36 episodes.
Image Image Image The show was intended to appeal to teenagers, and although Johnny Yuma was a "reb" in the Civil War, the character he portrayed was a rebel: ABC actually referred to the character as a "a Reconstruction beatnik". (Trivia: Nick Adams was in the hit movie, "Rebel Without a Cause". Rebel movies were big in that era!)

Johnny Yuma was an ex-Confederate soldier, who wandered alone around the west (mostly Texas), trying to find inner peace after the war. He carried a double-barrel sawed-off shotgun and fought bad guys and helped folks in need. He simmered and brooded a lot while doing this, and always had a journal with him. He wrote down everything in that journal. :yes

There were some great guest stars. Our own Dan Blocker played Del Pierce in the very first episode in 1959, in which Robert Vaughn also appeared. Several other actors who appeared on Bonanza (Jack Elam, Ellen Corby, James Best, Claude Akins, Warren Oates....) were guest stars in subsequent "Rebel" episodes.

Johnny Cash had a hit single singing "The Rebel" theme song:

Johnny Yuma was a rebel
He roamed through the West
Did Johnny Yuma, the rebel
He wandered alone

He got fighting mad this rebel lad
He packed no star as he wandered far
Where the only law was a hook and a draw
The rebel, Johnny Yuma

He searched the land this restless land
He was panther quick and leather tough
If he figured that he'd been pushed enough
The rebel, Johnny Yuma

More Trivia: Nick Adams died in 1968, at age 36, from an overdose of drugs. No prescription bottle was found, and no needle mark could be found on him. It's still considered a mystery, and officially it was listed as "accidental suicide."

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Proud Member of BHA

Dori
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 289

Forum Moderator Christmas Card Team Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO X Summer 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Snail Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Valentine's Day 2019
Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018

View all badges

Re: The Rebel

Post by Dori » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:55 pm

I have been watching The Rebel on Metv. So sad that he died so young.

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 333
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 15 Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4
Summer Reading 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11
Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 pm

I watch The Rebel every day on MeTV!

ponderosagirl
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 75

Group Member 100 Posts 1,000 Posts 5,000 Posts
10,000 Posts 15,000 Posts half million posts Cartwright Generosity
History of the Old West POD Behind The Scenes Non Fiction Bio Cowboy Poetry 2012
Don't Blink Don't Blink Christmas 2011 Fun With Captions Game Night 6

View all badges

Post by ponderosagirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:36 am

I watched The Rebel when I was a little girl. I enjoyed Nick Adams and the way he portrayed Johnny Yuma. His death has always been a mystery and I often wonder.

october
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 134

September Song 2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Dan's Birthday 2018
Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 September Song 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink
10th Anniversary Letter O Not So Guilty Pleasures September Song 2017 Valentine's Day 2017
BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Countdown to 1,111,111 Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016

View all badges

Post by october » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:56 am

Never saw The Rebel - interesting to read about it - thanks Peg. There is another Bonanza connection with Jack Chaplin Image thanks Gillie for cap

He was discovered by the actor Nick Adams as a James Dean wannabee and signed by Nick to play in his 1960's series The Rebel. Jack worked steadily through the early part of the 1960's appearing in Bonanza twice - the second time Five Sundowns to Sunup (1965) as Harry Lassiter

pegasus
Buckaroo
Buckaroo

Site Design Contributor BINGO After Party BINGO Winner Round-Up Game BINGO Strike Round-Up Game
BINGO Snail Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Fun With Art Tier 2 Fun with Captions Level 1

View all badges

Post by pegasus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks, October! I forgot about Jack Chaplin. He does resemble James Dean, doesn't he!

Peg

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Proud Member of BHA

peej
Wrangler
Wrangler

Post by peej » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Now I can't stop singing the theme song!

pegasus
Buckaroo
Buckaroo

View all badges

Post by pegasus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:23 pm

I've been singing it for TWO DAYS now! It's startin' to drive me crazy! I'm gonna try and switch to "It's a Small World". :yes

Peg

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Proud Member of BHA

Return to “There Were Other Westerns?”