The Virginian

If you like the westerns we’re currently discussing, you may have liked other western TV shows. So why don’t we discuss them here! Post about western conventions (non Bonanza), the shows, the actors and anything you want to discuss.

Moderator: Tracy

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Re: The Virginian

Post by PJudith » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:05 pm

Just started watching this on Hallmark. Great show! I guess I have a lot of catching up to do because they are showing the episodes with John McIntire as the head of the ranch.

We were always a big western family. My mom watched Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train and The Big Valley. I watched most of the shows with her. But for some reason, she never got into The Virginian or The High Chaparral. So we never watched those two shows. I have started to watch both since they come on after The Big Valley which airs at 10:00 A.M. on the Hallmark channel. I work nights, so morning TV is like my "nighttime" TV now.

As much as I will always LOVE BZ, I've needed to find some other westerns to watch. I have the Bonanza episodes all memorized. I just needed something new. But funny thing, all roads lead back to the Ponderosa. I seem to compare the characters and the situations (even their clothes!) to the Cartwrights. :grin I've been noticing that the Virginian wears a red shirt and a black vest much like first season Adam wore. He is also darkly handsome and soft spoken, doesn't have a lot to say. But when someone at the ranch is threatened, he will defend them to the death.

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 309
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects Bonanza Ballads Level 7
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:21 am

I still watch The Virginian episodes. They have them On Demand on StarzEncore as well. Now, Insp as well as Starz and WRDQ shows episodes. I find it interesting that they had only one comedic episode and also that the cast changed (who is Don Quine?) The only ones who stayed to the end were Drury and McClure. When it morphed into The Men from Shiloh, Lee Majors joined the cast.

I remember the first cast change when Roberta Shore and Lee J. Cobb left and I asked my mother what happened to them. She told me Cobb had a heart attack so he had to leave the show. I guess Shore decided to move on or when her "father" left the ranch for some political position, she left with him. Then came Charles Bickford and then John McIntire and then Stewart Granger. My fave was Cobb.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
PJudith
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

barbp
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 8
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: adam

FFW 2018 Matchups Christmas 2017 100 Posts Oktoberfest 2013
September Song 2012 Little Joe's Treasure Hunt Summer 2011 Christmas 2013

View all badges

Post by barbp » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:56 pm

I loved the opening scenes of them riding on the dirt road- it spurred me on to arrange to go to a dude ranch- first to a fairly local dude ranch in peekskill ny, (Rocking Horse) and then finally to the medicine bow mountains (Tie Sidings WY and Virginia Dale, Colo) and my friend and I played tv westerns at the 2Bar7 dude ranch
These users thanked the author barbp for the post:
PJudith

PJudith
Drover
Drover

Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:19 pm

Yes Adamant, it's on INSP! Don't know why I wrote Hallmark. I think I was watching some other western on that channel. I had no idea that The Virginian went through so many cast changes. I've been reading up on the show to familiarize myself with the characters. For years i used to think the show got its name from the "fact" that it was set in Virginia! :no

I do like the opening music when they ride up. I like The High Chaparral theme too. One thing for sure, TV westerns had some great opening music.

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

December Delectables Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:04 am

I don't have INSP or METV anymore but I still can watch The Virginian and The Big Valley on Youtube on my Firestick. I love those old westerns! :very happy

PJudith
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:08 am

daisy60 wrote:I don't have INSP or METV anymore but I still can watch The Virginian and The Big Valley on Youtube on my Firestick. I love those old westerns! :very happy
Me too! The older I get, the more I am returning to watching the old shows. I have The Big Valley on DVD. I have some of the real old sitcoms. I have all six seasons of I Love Lucy. I've got some of the newer classics like The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Except for a few game shows such as Jeopardy, I hardly watch any current network shows.

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 333
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 15 Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4
Summer Reading 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11
Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:06 am

On April 11th, James Drury was Inducted into the Walk of Western Stars.

He was unable to attend because his beloved wife is in the hospital. James' son, Timothy, accepted the award in his honor.

This is the video James made, thanking his fans.
These users thanked the author Tracy for the post (total 2):
ellenmimosa

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

December Delectables Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:31 am

Oh, that's great! I hope his wife is ok. :bravo

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 309
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects Bonanza Ballads Level 7
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Thanks, Tracy, for the video. (They should have inducted him years earlier though, IMO. Then he could have celebrated with his wife beside him.)
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 56

Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:51 am

Thanks, for sharing. He certainly deserves the award.

Return to “There Were Other Westerns?”