The Big Valley

If you like the westerns we’re currently discussing, you may have liked other western TV shows. So why don’t we discuss them here! Post about western conventions (non Bonanza), the shows, the actors and anything you want to discuss.

Moderator: Tracy

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 139
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8

View all badges

Re: The Big Valley

Post by littlejoenice » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:39 am

i watched one episode the other night where Nick was engaged to be married, but the woman he was in love with, fell in love with Heath! I don't about you, but that sounds to me like Melinda Banning all over again.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:38 pm

littlejoenice wrote:i watched one episode the other night where Nick was engaged to be married, but the woman he was in love with fell in love with Heath! I don't about you, but that sounds to me like Melinda Banning all over again.

Sounds like an interesting episode. Do you happen to remember the title? I'd like to find it on-line somewhere and watch it.

I always watched The Big Valley with my mom. But it's been years since I've seen most of the episodes. As far as romance, I don't think the Barkley brothers had as many women die on them as the Cartwrights did! :no

Some similarities though, Jarrod was the oldest and very cerebral. He had a law practicein Stockton. Adam was the college graduate.

I think if they had wanted to keep Pernell Roberts on the show, they should have had him open his own architectural firm in Virginia City, buy a house there and stop worrying that his character would have to call Ben "Pa" all the time. I think that was one of PR's big problems with the way Adam had to behave. On the Big Valley everyone called Victoria "Mother". No one called her Ma or Mommy. Maybe if Adam was allowed to call Ben "Father" he would've been happier.
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post:
littlejoenice

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 139
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:48 pm

The episode was called, "By Fires Unseen."
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
PJudith
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

PJudith
Drover
Drover

Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:15 pm

littlejoenice wrote:The episode was called, "By Fires Unseen."
Thanks for posting that! I found the episode on youtube. As soon as I saw that it was a first season episode, I realized that was why I didn't recall it. The youngest son Eugene was in it. I didn't remember him at all.

I was reading about Big Valley (a few years ago) and someone wondered what happened to the youngest Barkley, Eugene. I wondered, Who is Eugene? :shrug LOL I haven't seen those episodes in many years. The article said that the actor who played him, Charles Briles, was drafted and was in the Army . He just disappeared from the show with no explanation, just like Chuck, Ritchie Cunningham's older brother on Happy Days.

When I saw that Diane Baker was the guest star, I recalled that I did see it. I had the vaguest recollection of her appearance on the show and that she broke up with Nick. I always thought she was one of the prettiest actresses on television.

Boy, Nick sure pulled a "Joe Cartwright" in that episode. Only knew her FIVE days and proposed. What took him so long? lol
Last edited by PJudith on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 167
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Forum Moderator BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Host Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Host Valentine's Day Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019
Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Cinco de mayo 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Challenge Games Edition

View all badges

Post by ellie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:24 am

PJudith wrote: Boy, Nick sure pulled a "Joe Cartwright" in that episode. Only knew her FIVE days and proposed. What took him so long? lol
I know they had to "speed things up" for story telling, but maybe they could indicate that HunkyMale had been courting BlueDressCladFemale for a few months before he popped the question :shrug . Just seems that one of the brothers could ask, "Are you sure about this? You've only known her for ______ ."

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 328
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019
Out Of The Blue Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Reader's Choice Level 1 Christmas 2018

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:53 am

When Jarrod married, I believe he'd only known her for a week or so. He just showed up back home married.
These users thanked the author Tracy for the post:
Adamant

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 303
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer
Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3
Reader's Choice Level 1 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:13 am

Tracy wrote:When Jarrod married, I believe he'd only known her for a week or so. He just showed up back home married.
Didn't they meet on a train and when I came time for her (for him) to debark, they decided to marry?
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

PJudith
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:33 am

ellie wrote:
PJudith wrote: Boy, Nick sure pulled a "Joe Cartwright" in that episode. Only knew her FIVE days and proposed. What took him so long? lol
I know they had to "speed things up" for story telling, but maybe they could indicate that HunkyMale had been courting BlueDressCladFemale for a few months before he popped the question :shrug . Just seems that one of the brothers could ask, "Are you sure about this? You've only known her for ______ ."
Yeah, they couldn't SHOW that a long stretch of time had passed. But they could indicate it with dialogue.

In this episode they were all excited about meeting Nick in town. But he was only gone five days! Why the big deal? :shrug It would've made more sense if the family was excited that he was FINALLY getting home after a long trip. Maybe some conversation about how he only planned to be gone a few weeks, but he ended up staying a month. Wonder what kept him so long?? Hmm

A month would be a whirlwind courtship, a few days is just nuts! :yes

After watching this episode, there seemed to be a lot of elements from "She Walks in Beauty". First Jarrod recognizes Hester from a trip to San Francisco. She was the belle of the ball with men swarming around her. I don't think she had the same emotional baggage as Regan Miller. No scandals. But she was young and immature and just liked the attention of men.

At the end of the episode she tells Nick that she wanted Heath's attention and if the situation was reversed and she was engaged to Heath, she would've tried to get Nick's attention. I don't think she was in love with either man. She was just in love with men being attracted to her and falling all over her. At least she knew that much about herself.

Other things reminded me of BZ. Like, how could those woman look so well groomed on the trail? Hester fell in the water and her hair got soaking wet. A few hours later she was sporting a very elaborate hairstyle. Did they have hair salons in the woods? LOL How did she accomplish that hair-do without a blowdryer? And where did all the women pack those elaborate dresses for the dance? In their saddle bags?

Not too realistic, but it was the 1960's version of life in the old west. Honestly, if I take a five hour car trip I look more bedraggled than those women looked after sleeping out in the woods for three nights! If I had to sleep in the woods for three nights, even the bears would avoid me!
Last edited by PJudith on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 167
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Forum Moderator BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Host Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Host Valentine's Day Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019
Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Cinco de mayo 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Challenge Games Edition

View all badges

Post by ellie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:40 pm

PJudith wrote: ... Other things reminded me of BZ. Like, how could those woman look so well groomed on the trail? Hester fell in the water and her hair got soaking wet. A few hours later she was sporting a very elaborate hairstyle. Did they have hair salons in the woods? LOL How did she accomplish that hair-do without a blowdryer? And where did all the women pack those elaborate dresses for the dance? In their saddle bags?
Well, here's what's up with that ... You've heard of those vans that will come to your house to bathe your dog? Yeah, the idea comes from back in the 1800's when they had those "salons on wheels" :banditbuggy that would come do your hair after you fell in the drink or got caught in a dust storm. Unfortunately, it didn't work out so well because the men thought that it said "saloon on wheels" on they got a might disappointed when there was no booze to be had :shoot2
that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
These users thanked the author ellie for the post:
PJudith

PJudith
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:08 pm

Lol ellie, :rotfl You had me going there! For a second I thought that they really had those vans on wheels in the old west and I just never heard of them.

The Barkleys did lead charmed lives though. Like at the end of the episode, they managed to get a doctor to make a housecall up the side of a mountain to see Nick! Most people can't get a doctor to drive two blocks to their house. :grin

Not trying to be too critical, I did like The Big Valley a lot. It's just funny how the characters led such twentieth century lives in the 1870's.

Return to “There Were Other Westerns?”