Death Valley Days: Episode surprised me

If you like the westerns we’re currently discussing, you may have liked other western TV shows. So why don’t we discuss them here! Post about western conventions (non Bonanza), the shows, the actors and anything you want to discuss.

Moderator: Tracy

BuckAndCochise
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 26
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben & Candy

Oscar Chat2017 Group Member 100 Posts 1,000 Posts
5,000 Posts Fun Topic Starter PODs History of the Old West POD
FanFic Writer Badge In The Headlines September Song 2013 Sadie Hawkins Day 2013
Hoss' Excellent Adventure Postcards From The Past Holiday Postcards 2013 The Heat Is On

View all badges

Death Valley Days: Episode surprised me

Post by BuckAndCochise » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:55 am

Well, still furloughed and have no idea when I'm returning to work so I decided that I may as well start a new series. I was flipping through the Starz Westerns and I stumbled upon the show Death Valley Days. I had heard about this show before and, as much as I love Westerns, this just seemed like such a long, boring show. I was very wrong. What caught my attention was it was about John B. Stetson, inventor of the Stetson hat and who portrayed him was even more surprising: Alan Young aka Wilbur Post on Mister Ed.

I won't deny it, I always associate him with anything funny. I had never seen him not do anything that wasn't comedic in some way, even as the murdering diner owner, he was rather funny, so I decide: "Well I need a pick-me-up so may as well give this a watch." I thought it was going to be lighthearted and funny. I was wrong.

As I'm watching this episode, Young just completely blows me away. Not once does he do anything remotely comical as he is playing a man who came out west to die. Stetson had tuberculosis for anyone that doesn't know and was told that he didn't have any chance of surviving until he meets a saloon girl and a fur trapper who show him the only kindness he has ever received ever since he had been diagnosed.

One instance in the episode made me start to get misty eyed. John goes off to leave Dan, the trapper, because he feels that he is holding him back on his quest to collect furs because he has to worry about him falling behind. After Dan asks him that if it would be easier to just lie down and die, John states that it would be and Dan punches him so hard that it knocks him to the ground, props to Young for this because it's true that if you do hit someone hard enough, they will slightly bounce so that was impressive. Dan tells him that he is a gutless and spineless excuse for a man, and then Young gives quite possibly one of the best performances I have ever seen.

He tells Dan how easy has it, not having to worry about dying and that he wants to "end it" but it never happens. He eventually breaks down into tears and tells him that he wants to live but there is nothing he can do about. Dan smiles and tells him that he punched him because he wanted him to get mad and to prove everyone wrong, that he isn't going to let the TB get the best of him.

The episode continues on, showing how John made the hat and a few obstacles that he and his newfound friend overcome before their original task is complete.

Again, I was absolutely shocked at Young's performance. Like I said, I'm used to seeing him be funny and lighthearted and just all around someone who comes off as they have nothing to be angry at or serious about, well unless you count when Ed agitates him but even then it's funny. It was so eerie to see the first half of the episode where he was just content with dying and how eerie it was that he was so nonchalant about it, even smiling at one point. That was just freaky and I nearly went up the wall :laughing Not really but it gave me an icy feeling.

If anyone ever gets a chance, give it a watch. If you have Starz Streaming, give it a watch. It'll definitely change your opinion of what type of actor he was. It surely did me!
We think too much and feel too little. - Charlie Chaplin
Real heroes don't need cameras, they just do what needs to be done. - Launchpad McQuack
"Y'all had to go and mess up a perfectly good lie." - Axel Foley

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 347
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 20 Reader's Choice Level 8 July 4 2020
Bonanza Ballads Level 19 Reader's Choice Level 7 Bonanza Ballads Level 18 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
Reader's Choice Level 6 Bonanza Ballads Level 17 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! Pattern This!
Reader's Choice Level 5 WAT 9 Bonanza Ballads Level 16 Bonanza Ballads Level 15

View all badges

Re: Death Valley Days: Episode surprised me

Post by Tracy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:45 pm

I know him as the voice of Scrooge McDuck.
These users thanked the author Tracy for the post:
BuckAndCochise

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 164
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

July 4 2020 BINGO Participant Summer 2020 BINGO Snail Summer 2020 Collectors' Corner 2020
20,000 Posts Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Strike Winter 2020 Oscar Chat 2020
Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Chat Host Pattern This!

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:51 pm

I have about 6 different Starz [on Mobdro] and still rarely watch them. I've watched Death Valley Days a few times but I wasn't a huge fan of it. It was an ok show. :cactussmilie
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
BuckAndCochise

BuckAndCochise
Cowboy
Cowboy

Hoss' Excellent Adventure Postcards From The Past Holiday Postcards 2013 The Heat Is On

View all badges

Post by BuckAndCochise » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:22 pm

Tracy wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:45 pm
I know him as the voice of Scrooge McDuck.
Fun Fact about that! The accent he used as Scrooge was his real accent whereas everywhere else was not. When he moved to America in the early 40s, his agent said he needed to lose the accent or nobody would hire him.
These users thanked the author BuckAndCochise for the post:
ellen
Real heroes don't need cameras, they just do what needs to be done. - Launchpad McQuack

BuckAndCochise
Cowboy
Cowboy

View all badges

Post by BuckAndCochise » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:24 pm

daisy60 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:51 pm
I have about 6 different Starz [on Mobdro] and still rarely watch them. I've watched Death Valley Days a few times but I wasn't a huge fan of it. It was an ok show. :cactussmilie
I found it boring other than that episode tbh

Return to “There Were Other Westerns?”