Ellen Corby Bio

Come take a peek at our guest star forum. Here you will find bios on many of our Bonanza guest stars. We offer guest star pictures of the day and regular guest star discussions.

Moderator: CowgirlAtHeart

angelface1961
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 101
Stories: 6
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

NaNoWriMo 2011 NaNoWriMo 2012 Group Member Letters to Santa 2012
Oscar Chat Chat badge Fun. Chat Badge Fun Meet & Greet chat
Meet & Greet chat Red White & blue Holiday Decorations 2010 Thanksgiving 2010
Easter Egg Hunt 2012 Pernell’s Birthday 2010 New Year's Spring Fling

View all badges

Ellen Corby Bio

Post by angelface1961 »

ELLEN CORBY

Birth Name: Ellen Hansen

Date of Birth: 3 June 1911, Racine, Wisconsin, USA

Date of Death:
14 April 1999, Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, California, USA (natural causes)

Ellen was the daughter of Fred and Dagmar (Nelleman) Hansen, who were both born in Denmark.

In 1929 Ellen moved to California intending to become an actress. Instead, she was offered a job as a script girl in the movies and remained in that capacity for nearly 12 years, before finally turning to acting in the 1940's.

Ellen's list of film credits and television shows is extensive, too many to list here. I was surprised how active she was as an actress. Her last Credit was in 1997 playing her well loved Grandma Walton in A Walton Easter

Ellen earned an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Aunt Trina in 1948's, "I Remember Mama".
She played Sister Veronica in the original Angel's In The Outfield
Some other notable appearances were:
Mrs. Avery “The Rifleman” The High Country
Mother Lurch "The Addam's Family"
Mrs. Kaufmann "Nanny and the Professer"
One of her easily recognizable roles was as Myrt "The Hubcap" Lesh on "The Andy Griffith Show" she was the one to sell Barney his first car.
Ellen Corby's most famous role, however, was that of Esther (Grandma) Walton on "The Waltons" from 1972-1979.
Ellen suffered a stroke in 1976 and yet after missing 18 episodes went on to be included in the series and the remaining films.

Ellen was nominated 5 times for The Emmy Awards as Best Supporting Actress in a Dramatic Series, she won three times.

Ellen was credited with writing two of the episodes – The Search (1976) and The Separation (1973)

On Bonanza she guest starred in two episodes.
The Gunmen (S.1, #19 - 1/23/60) - Lorna Doone Mayberry
Where we hear her epic tribute to Hoss and Joe. And my favorite line "Save us our men, there aren't enough to go around"
Caps by me

The Hayburner (episode # 4.21) Feb. 17, 1963 Cora Milford
Ellen guest starred with William Demerest as our favorite bickering couple Cora and Enos Milford. They were well matched and I hear often we wish we had seen more of them.
all three caps by Sandy
Ellen was married to cameraman Francis Corby for ten years and she never had any children. Ellen Corby died at the Motion Picture Hospital in Los Angeles on April 14th, 1999. She was laid to rest at the Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Glendale, California.

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Bonanza Guest Stars”