Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Former Forum Host Group Member 100 Posts 1,000 Posts
5,000 Posts half million posts Volunteer Photographer
Referral Badge Video Cartwright Generosity BOOMers BOOMbox
Boomers Contribution PODs FanFic Writer Badge Ponderosa Murder Mystery

View all badges

PERNELL AS HE IS TODAY!

Post by swgirl » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:56 am

A very kind young lady that I've met through another site has given me permission to post the following.

I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I have. Image Photo ~ Elisha

The following is Elisha's adventure in Malibu in her own words. Enjoy!

And since I know you all are dying to hear this story, here goes!

Kelsy and I went to his house this morning around 10am. His gardener was in the backyard (bless that man!) so we walked around to the backyard since the front door was definitely gated. The gardener said that "Mr. Richards" wasn't home. I said we were looking for a Mr. Roberts, not Richards. I asked if he was around 80, bald, and used to be on Bonanza. At this the gardener laughed and said, yes, this was his house. There was a sign marked "office" by the side door, so we knocked on the door, but no one answered. The gardener said that he wasn't home, but that he would be back in about 5 minutes. Of course we had to wait! We sat in my car for about an hour, but no luck. So we left to grab some lunch at Coogie's. We drove back to see if he was there yet, but his van was gone. We had bought a card to leave in case we didn't see him. We wanted to tuck it under the wiper blade, but since the van wasn't there we decided to wait a little longer. When we finally gave up, we left and started to drive north on the Pacific Coast Highway. About a mile from the canyon, we saw his van driving the other direction! I looked at Kelsey, and she said one word: "u-turn!"

So I managed to turn around and we were only about 3 or 4 vehicles behind him. We drove up to his street and parked in front of his neighbor's house, got out and walked up his driveway. His garage door was closing, so I figured that we had just missed him. But I looked over at the van and...HE WAS SITTING IN IT!!! I asked if I could open the door, and he said "yes" so I did. I had a copy of "Ride Lonesome" and I asked him to sign it, which he did gladly. He told us a funny story about one of his first days filming with Randolph Scott. Apparently he didn't know how to ride very well yet, but he was supposed to come galloping into the scene. Mr. Scott was watching the scene and said "Boys, I see a fall coming on." (Pernell had a glorious southern accent when saying this!) Sure enough, Pernell fell off the horse. He laughed at this memory...seems like he really enjoyed working on that movie. We asked him if we could each get a picture with him, and he happily obliged. We talked for a few more minutes about random things. He liked Kelsey's toenail polish and asked what color it was. He asked where we were from, and when we said Indiana, he said that he had made a point to visit each of the 50 states. At that point, I thought we shouldn't take up any more of his time, so we thanked him and said good-bye. He looked well for his age. I still can't believe that I met him...he is such a nice person! I don't know what else to say...I'm still in shock a little!

Elisha

This topic has 76 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Pernell's Place”