A question-

The Cannon family runs the High Chaparral Ranch in the Arizona Territory in the 1870s. Check out another western by David Dortort.
Threem
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 158
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Fun With Captions Level 3 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019
Amazon Buyer 11th Anniversary Dan's Birthday 2018 Mike's Birthday 2018
Time For A Commercial Break 4 September Song 2018 David's Birthday 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday

View all badges

A question-

Post by Threem » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:19 pm

This has probably been asked or discussed before, but I noticed it again today and thought I'd finally ask-

Watching bits and pieces of 'Four Sisters From Boston', the BZ ep, I heard the theme from "High Chaparral" at the first. Or wasn't it? I've noticed this before and wondered if there was any significance to this other than the obvious of HC being another Dortort series- I mean, did it start shortly thereafter, is that why he stuck the music in this particular BZ ep?

I did watch HC; watched it quite a bit. My daughter had a crush on Manolito; I loved the relationship between Leif Erickson and Victoria - it was unique, I thought. And of course, there was Blue...!

Anywho, just thought I'd see what I could find out about this!
Love him forever....

A Ponderosa Pine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 81
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: ADAM!

Administrator Anniversary Poem or Artwork 100 Posts 1,000 Posts
5,000 Posts 10,000 Posts Boomers Million Volunteer
Photographer Referral Badge Cartwright Generosity Boomers Contribution
Guest Star Bio FanFic Writer Badge Ponderosa Murder Mystery Ponderosa Murder Mystery 2

View all badges

Re: A question-

Post by A Ponderosa Pine » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:10 pm

You are correct, threem; the theme to The High Chaparral is in "Four Sisters From Boston"! That episode was shown in October 1966, and the music was written by David Rose, who was the musical director for Bonanza.

David Dortort liked that music, and decided to use it as the theme for his new show, which started in 1967.

Many people don't realize that there were words to the music, since they weren't used on the show, but it's a very romantic song:

All For You

Theme from "The High Chaparral"
Music by David Rose
Lyrics by Joe Lubin & David Dortort

It's all for you this love that I bring
The song that I sing is a song from my heart
And it's all for you.

Without you there the dreams that I've planned
would be grains of sand. Take my dreams, make them true
'Cause they're all for you.

The great rugged mountains, these thousand mile plains
This vast blazing desert, Come share all I claim.

So take my love and as long as I live
Take all that I have to give, here's my world, take it too
Oh, it's all for you.

I agree with you, threem, that the relationship between John and Victoria was both unique and great! And I had crushes on Manolito and Buck! :hearts

I wish the show would come out on DVD!!!!!

Pine :bigtree
:pine Pining for Adam

Threem
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 158
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Fun With Captions Level 3 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019
Amazon Buyer 11th Anniversary Dan's Birthday 2018 Mike's Birthday 2018
Time For A Commercial Break 4 September Song 2018 David's Birthday 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday

View all badges

Post by Threem » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:39 pm

Now I didn't know that! Words to that music......I'll have to pay more attention next time-

I just know that I loved the theme, you knew what show it was attached to, and it fit the show, the story, the characters, the landscape, everything.

I'd put it up there with the likes of the theme from "The Magnificent Seven".....or "High Noon"......or that other western.....what was the name of that show...... :grin

Thanks, pine, for the interesting stuff! And OMG......how could I have forgotten Buck?? A much better role than the one-armed idiot he played in the BZ ep, "A House Divided".
Love him forever....

pony
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 95
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Former Forum Host Escape To Ponderosa 50th Anniversary Chat Group Member
100 Posts 1,000 Posts 5,000 Posts Volunteer
Photographer Referral Badge Tutorial Cartwright Generosity
BOOMers BOOMbox Boomers Contribution Fun Topic Starter FanFic Writer Badge

View all badges

Post by pony » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:19 am

I've never seen "The High Chaparrel" - I have no idea why, as I've always loved Westerns. It must have been on at the same time as a show on another channel that my bully big brother wanted to watch. :laughing

Anyway, I love the words to this song. I couldn't help but think they would also have been appropriate for Ben, regarding any or all of his wives ... and maybe even his sons too.

On a related note, I have an album (converted to CD) with "Music from Bonanza and the High Chaparrel" and it includes an instrumental version of this song. (Some of the songs on this album have singing, others are instrumental.) The LP cover is pictured above, front and back sides; the album has BZ songs on on side and HC songs on the other.

Here's the playlist from the album:
Bonanza
The Big Bonanza
How Can I Leave You
The Cartwright Brothers
It Won't Be Very Long
Jamie
Blood Brothers
The Big Man
Jim Along Rosy
Man Passing Through
Bonanza

High Chaparral
Theme from The High Chaparral
The Guns of Johnny Rondo
Blue's Theme
Cantina
Manolito
Cochise
Ridin' the Trail
Victoria
All for You
Montoya

It's interesting that a song titled "Cochise" is among the HC songs. This album predates the character of Jamie by several years, so I have no idea why there is a song of that title on the BZ playlist.

But don't get too excited ... the album is awful. I can't really describe the style of most of these tunes except to say that they remind of the songs "Up, Up and Away" or "Windy." So if you're familiar with those songs, you'll know what I mean.

"Man Passing Through" and "Blood Brothers" are the best of the lot, imo ... MPT sounds like something PR would have recorded on his "Come All Ye Fair and Tender Ladies" album. "Blood Brothers" has a Civil War theme to it, I assume inspired by Joe and Adam.

Musical tastes are very personal and individual, of course; maybe someone else would think these songs are great, but I just don't care for any of them at all.

But I sure do like that picture of Joe. :hearts

A Ponderosa Pine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guest Star Bio FanFic Writer Badge Ponderosa Murder Mystery Ponderosa Murder Mystery 2

View all badges

Post by A Ponderosa Pine » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:12 am

pony, I have the album that you are talking about, but I bought it on ebay a few years ago and don't have a record player so I have never been able to play it! :sob

I remember hearing theme songs for Blue, Manolito and Victoria on The High Chaparral, and would probably recognize them if I heard them now, but can't recall them from memory.

The Cochise song would be about the Indian leader, since The High Chaparral took place in the desert of Arizona and the family fought (and worked to make peace with) the Apaches.

I hope you have a chance to see this show someday; it was grrrreat! I think it aired on Sunday nights right after Bonanza.

pony
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 95
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Former Forum Host Escape To Ponderosa 50th Anniversary Chat Group Member
100 Posts 1,000 Posts 5,000 Posts Volunteer
Photographer Referral Badge Tutorial Cartwright Generosity
BOOMers BOOMbox Boomers Contribution Fun Topic Starter FanFic Writer Badge

View all badges

Post by pony » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:05 pm

I bought my album off eBay too, and had it for a couple of years without being able to play it. Then I acquired a handy little device that basically hooks a turntable up to a laptop so you can convert an LP/album to a CD.

That was one of the first albums I switched, but what a bummer. I can't speak for the HC music, but the music on the 'Bonanza' side is NOT original to the show.

However ... There is another album out there (see photo) that does have the original "soundtracks" ... it is quite beautiful and I highly recommend this one. :yes "Ponderosa" is absolutely beautiful.

Here is the playlist for this album:
Bonanza - Main Theme
Journey Of The Hopefuls
Hoss
Annie O'Toole
Gypsy
Ponderosa
Hoedown At Virginia City
The Balloon Riders
Legend Of Sam Hill
Silent Thunder
Horseless Carriage
Fury In Old Mexico
Bonanza (w/Lorne Greene vocal)

A Ponderosa Pine
Site Admin
Site Admin

View all badges

Post by A Ponderosa Pine » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:27 pm

I have never seen that album before, pony, so thanks for sharing it with us.

The picture on it, however, is one that I used in my history of Virginia City!

Return to “The High Chaparral”