"Billy Blue Does a PR"

The Cannon family runs the High Chaparral Ranch in the Arizona Territory in the 1870s. Check out another western by David Dortort.
tym
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

100 Posts Fun Topic Starter

View all badges

"Billy Blue Does a PR"

Post by tym » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:11 pm

http://blog.highchaparralnewsletter.com/?cat=10&paged=2
High Chaparral News
The High Chaparral News

Billy Blue Walks Out
August 7th, 2008
Filed under: Vintage Reprint Articles — admin @ 6:48 pm
December 2, 2007

Billy Blue Walks Out

This article is reprinted in it’s entirety
from Australian TV Week
May 9, 1970. The subject matter, quotes, and opinions are those of the original writers and editors.

Mark Slade stormed his way into High Chaparral. “James Dean is alive,” he roared at the producer who had kept him waiting. Today, two years later, he has left the series no less dramatically. “I may be doing a Pernell Roberts,” he said quietly. “I could have sacrificed my whole career…but I felt it was much more important to follow this through. I feel I’m still young enough to gamble.”

In a major upheaval that recalls Pernell Roberts’ stormy divorce from Bonanza, Mark has ridden out of its sister Western in a clash of wills over his movie-making ambitions. There may also be further repercussions for High Chaparral. One German network is reportedly about to drop the Western in protest and at least two other members of the cast are deeply upset by the producers’ tough stand.

Mark’s dramatic walk-out came after creator and executive producer David Dortort denied him a three week leave from High Chaparral to film Better Times Are Coming, a “now” Western he has created with writer William Lansford, later this year.

“It all happened in 10 days,” Mark recalled. “The first indication I had was when someone on Dortort’s office staff asked, “Would you go as far as giving up Billy Blue for your movie? Then a few days later I was accepting the Bambi Award and not a word was said. Dortort was beside me all smiles and he shook my hand. Next day the whole thing blew apart. Dortort didn’t even have the guts to come to me and tell me personally. He had an underling do that…Bitter? I’m only bitter about the way it was done. I guess I’m rather naïve. I think the best of everyone. Now I look back at the show and… well, I’m just going to put all my energies into the movie.”

Mark’s mood was more one of quiet disillusionment than anger. Despite obvious disappointment at the cast’s general reaction to his exit, he talked of it without rancor and carefully avoided any mention of Leif Erickson although, according to a reliable source, there is a wide rift between the two men. It is understood to have stemmed from the collapse of plans for Leif to play a sheriff in the movie, although the source said Mark had deliberately removed himself from any negotiations because of their High Chaparral relationship.

“Nothing that happened really surprised me.” Mark mused over the events that led to his shock departure. “The surprising thing is how cold it becomes. You really find out who your friends are. Cam (Mitchell) and Linda (Cristal), and she’s very upset, are the only ones I heard from. Oh, Hank (Darrow) called and cleared his conscience. A couple of others, not those in the lead roles, called, but that wasn’t until a couple of weeks later. Cam and I have had our blow-ups with each other, it has been an uncle-nephew relationship with us. But Cam tried for two days to reach me – my wife, Melinda and I just got out of the house when it happened. Finally he rang me at midnight to be sure of catching me. Cam talked to me on the phone till three in the morning.”

The High Chaparral role, however, is not the only sacrifice Mark is making for Better Times are Coming, in which he and Gary Lockwood star as two losers, unable to win in any society, who team up in Texas at the turn of the century. Not only is he risking his career, but as a married man with a pre-school child, his financial security, and he frankly admits the decision to quit was as much his as his wife’s. “I don’t know if I would have done it myself,” he said. “My wife felt I was getting tied, typed, into Billy Blue. By the time the series ended people would take me at face value as an actor. In a series you get pretty used to security. I was thinking of delaying the movie at one stage, but planning was too far advanced, and the question was answered for me… I think my wife saw something like this coming up. Melinda and I have saved our money – we’ve always kept our horns in…What if they asked me to return? I would probably go back, but not until we’ve finished the movie. I am now completely committed to it.”

Better Times Are Coming, which begins shooting late this month in Mexico, already represents a triumph over great odds for both Mark and Bill Landsford. “When my partner and I get together we say it’s our own project, and we aren’t going to give it away to anyone,” Mark said. Bill is making just as many sacrifices as I am, believe me. He has turned down about $25,000 in potential earnings to work on the movie and it’s been harder for him than me. He has a wife and two kids. I’ve lent him some money to help him through this period. Financially, he’s starting to get into shape”

The pair, who have formed Friends and Partners Productions to produce the film, first tried to interest a major studio in their original screenplay, and Mark is frankly disgusted at their indifference. Despite their Hollywood setbacks, they refused to give up the project, eventually winning the backing of a group of Mexican film makers.

Mark makes no secret that it is a shoe-string production, eventually expected to cost $500,000, less than the cost of two High Chaparral episodes. But their conviction that “we have a good product” is shared by everyone involved, including Gary Lockwood, Slim Pickens, and Joanna Moore who are all appearing on an “act now, pay later basis.”

“We don’t have any fancy offices, ours is the nearest telephone booth,” Mark said. “We don’t have any business managers, we use our own attorneys. Now comes the big test. We’ve had indications that if this goes right we will have financing for our next one.”

Later a visitor asked if the title, Better Times Are Coming, had a personal significance. “It didn’t,” Mark Slade grinned slowly. “But it sure does now.”

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 311

Forum Moderator Librarian Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game

View all badges

Re: "Billy Blue Does a PR"

Post by patina » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:16 pm

Mark Slade is a successful artist.

Andy Klyde and I were talking in the hotel lobby after the 2009 Bonanza Convention and he told me the High Chaparral Convention was the next month. I was disappointed because I couldn't to afford to go since I'd spent so much on Bonanza. When I asked him if Mark Slade attended the High Chaparral conventions, Andy said no. Like PR, Mark Slade put the role behind him and went on to do the things he wanted to do.
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

tym
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 2

100 Posts Fun Topic Starter

View all badges

Post by tym » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:53 pm

I might be misunderstanding something, but there seem to be some similarities to the PR/BZ ending.
Another case of quit AND "fired" ( maybe for wanting to quit, IMO). The actor wanted to leave, and so the producer took the upper hand and, and what did he say? "it all happened in ten days..... Dortort didn't even have the guts to tell me...he let an underling do it.." And the thing could have been avoided if DD had let him have his three weeks for the movie.

readytogo
Buckaroo
Buckaroo
Badges: 71

5,000 Posts Professional Photographer Boomers BINGO Game Night 7
Hidden Treasures Valentine Hidden Treasures Easter 2012 Hidden Treasures Summer 2012 Hidden Treasures Halloween
Hidden Treasures Halloween Hidden Treasures Thanksgiving Hidden Treasures Christmas 100 in 24
Oktoberfest 2013 Hidden Treasures July 2013 Mix N Match BINGO Booby

View all badges

Post by readytogo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:06 am

I thought the same thing tym, heaven forbid you ask for three weeks of! To lose him for three weeks might be a lot for a series, but then they opted to lose him forever instead, makes no sense to me!

This Mark Slade and DD disagreement seems similar to the PR and DD disagreement...and what is the common denominator...DD!

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:04 am

He kept working too. I remember seeing him in many of the shows that were on at the time.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

lovemychico
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 345
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator September Song 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Amazon Buyer
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019

View all badges

Post by lovemychico » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:35 am

Wow interesting. :yes
Joe's Southern Gal. I am his favorite!!
"But Pa, I Love Her" :hearts
:bejules Proud member of BHA
Proud Owner of Joe's pants, Lafe's Auction June 2016

Gillie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Badges: 454

Global Moderator Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019
Halloween ART 2019 Reader's Choice Level 6 Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO L Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Gillie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:23 am

Gosh, there is so much out there to know about. I don't think I watched the High Chaparrel! So much to do...so little time!!!
:bejules Proud Member of BHA
Proud owner of Adam's Guitar, Lafe's Auction June 2016

Adam to Joe: "You heard what he said. We look for little green men riding on hound dogs."
"Well, Jessie, I'm not just sure I pleased you." Jim Boyer
:grimesgirl

angelface1961
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 101

NaNoWriMo 2011 NaNoWriMo 2012 Group Member 100 Posts
1,000 Posts 5,000 Posts 10,000 Posts half million posts
Volunteer Photographer Cartwright Generosity BOOMers BOOMbox
Photo fixer PODs Guest Star Bio Hop Sing’s Recipes Index

View all badges

Post by angelface1961 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:04 pm

Interesting...but I think Directors and Execs learned from PR and MS and now will mostly let an actor do a film cuz it actually free promotion for their show. DD missed out on a lot.

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:57 pm

DD wasn't the only one. Roddenberry wouldn't let his actors do anything either. He even block Nichell Nichols from getting another series when he knew Star Trek was closing.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

heartbeatgirl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 167
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 7 Guess The Guest Star
Anniversary Quiz Fun With Quotes 2017 Lorne Greene Birthday 2017 BINGO Search Emoticon Edition
BINGO Snail Emoticon Edition Without A Trace 5 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017
Michael Landon's Birthday 2008 Sadie Hawkins Day 2016 Group Member 100 Posts

View all badges

Post by heartbeatgirl » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:07 pm

I loved High Chaparral as a kid, and Blue was my favourite character! I had no idea until now, why he was written out!
Thanks so much for posting! :thanks

Return to “The High Chaparral”