Casting Disney's Zorro Series

Guy Williams was Zorro before he was Will Cartwright.

Moderator: patina

A Ponderosa Pine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 81
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: ADAM!

Administrator Anniversary Poem or Artwork 100 Posts 1,000 Posts
5,000 Posts 10,000 Posts Boomers Million Volunteer
Photographer Referral Badge Cartwright Generosity Boomers Contribution
Guest Star Bio FanFic Writer Badge Ponderosa Murder Mystery Ponderosa Murder Mystery 2

View all badges

Re: Casting Disney's Zorro Series

Post by A Ponderosa Pine » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:53 pm

January wrote:Are you saying that Bernardo and Guy had the same Silhouette? :lol

They can fool them, but they couldn't fool me. :lol
Actually, the way Bernardo let himself be seen, being as "quick" as he was, it surely worked. He DID look like Zorro. Good idea on the writers part.
Also, Bernardo was only seen as Zorro by others from a distance, so that helped him pull off the act!
:pine Pining for Adam

A Ponderosa Pine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guest Star Bio FanFic Writer Badge Ponderosa Murder Mystery Ponderosa Murder Mystery 2

View all badges

Post by A Ponderosa Pine » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:35 pm

Another important character was Sergeant Dimetrio Lopez Garcia, the second-in-command of the pueblo. Garcia was a fairly comedic character, due in part to his rotund physique. He provided a welcome relief to the sinister commanders of the garrison, and as the series progressed, he developed a certain kinship with Zorro. While he tried his best to be a good soldier, Garcia could always be counted on to let his voracious appetite or appreciation of liquor get the best of him. The villains in the series took note of this, and Garcia accidentally would become a problem to Zorro over and over again.

Garcia was played by Henry Calvin, whose real name was Wimberly Calvin Goodman. Calvin, a native of Dallas, had performed on Broadway in Kismet and several other plays, and he had hosted his own radio series on NBC in 1950. In 1952, he portrayed Big Ben on the children's TV series Howdy Doody.

The 6'2" actor weighed in at an impressive 340 pounds, and needed to use a special razor to maintain Garcia's stubbly beard. Calvin's rich baritone voice contributed to a number of musical interludes over the course of the series, singing everything from drinking songs to a serenade, and even a duet with Annette Funicello in one episode. He also put out a recording of the Zorro theme song.

Henry maintained an on-going friendship with many of those he had worked with at Disney, including Guy Williams. In 1973, Guy Williams was invited to return to Buenos Aires to attend a gala charity show honoring the first lady of Argentina. Guy suggested that Henry accompany him, reprising his Sgt Garcia to Guy's Zorro. Henry's health had started to fail due to throat cancer (as evidenced by the gauntness of his once routund phylsque), so the two friends relished the opportunity to work together for what would be the last time.

barb
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 132
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

100 Posts 1,000 Posts 5,000 Posts 10,000 Posts
half million posts Volunteer Boomers Contribution FanFic Writer Badge
Ponderosa Murder Mystery Ponderosa Murder Mystery 2 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 1 Cowboy Poetry 2012
Cock & Bull St. Patrick's Day Limerick Don't Blink Boomers BINGO

View all badges

Post by barb » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:14 pm

Henry Calvin was wonderful as Sgt. Garcia. His role added just the right touch of humor.

Something about Henry Calvin reminded me alot of Oliver Hardy from the comedy team of Laurel and Hardy. It's nice that he and Guy Williams remained close friends.

Barb

A Ponderosa Pine
Site Admin
Site Admin

View all badges

Post by A Ponderosa Pine » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:27 pm

barb wrote: Something about Henry Calvin reminded me alot of Oliver Hardy from the comedy team of Laurel and Hardy.
Barb

It's interesting that you mentioned that, Barb! Below is a photo of Dick Van Dyke and Henry Calvin doing a comedy skit as Laurel and Hardy on The Dick Van Dyke Show!!

Below the photo is the mustache Henry wore, and it sold recently on ebay for $390.00!!!!!

Here is what was written on ebay:

Henry Calvin's Mustache from his "Laurel and Hardy" Appearance with Dick Van Dyke. One of the best-remembered episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show was the March 6, 1963 show "The Sam Pomerantz Scandals," in which Van Dyke and Henry Calvin did a remarkable (and heartfelt) impersonation of Laurel and Hardy. (Stan Laurel himself tuned in that night and enjoyed it.) This lot includes Calvin's Oliver Hardy mustache, housed, for whatever reason, in a Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge envelope. The mustache is in its original two pieces,well-preserved, and comes with an 8" x 10" still (in Excellent condition) showing Dick and Henry as Stan and Ollie. A fascinating lot, from an unforgettable night of 1963 television -- and a true curio related to the legend of Laurel and Hardy. From the Henry Calvin Collection.

barb
Wrangler
Wrangler

Ponderosa Murder Mystery Ponderosa Murder Mystery 2 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 1 Cowboy Poetry 2012

View all badges

Post by barb » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:08 pm

OMG!! He does look like him! I hadn't seen that photo........thanks for posting it Pine.
My brother and I used to watch the old Laurel and Hardy movies on TV when we were kids.

Barb

A Ponderosa Pine
Site Admin
Site Admin

View all badges

Post by A Ponderosa Pine » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:36 pm

Completing the regular characters on the series was Don Alejandro de la Vega, Diego's father. Alejandro was one of the wealthiest and most prominent of the citizens of Los Angeles, and many of the local peasants and landowners turned to him for help and guidance. It was Alejandro who first summoned Diego back home to help stop the evil Monastario in his quest for power, thereby inadvertently beginning Zorro's career. For most of the series, Alejandro didn't know that Diego was secretly Zorro, and his son's apparent cowardice caused friction within the family.

The part of Don Alejandro was played by veteran character actor George J. Lewis. Interestingly enough, Lewis had once donned a Zorro costume himself! He co-starred in the 12-part Republic Pictures serial Zorro's Black Whip (1944), which starred Linda Stirling as Barbara Meredith. When her crime fighting brother died, Barbara took on the role of the "Black Whip", a successor to Zorro. At one point, Lewis, who was cast as her boyfriend, donned the outlaw's costume to protect her secret.

(Guy Williams and George J. Lewis)

barb
Wrangler
Wrangler

View all badges

Post by barb » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:45 pm

Don Alejandro was very distinguished, imposing, and handsome (much like Ben Cartwright)
I always felt bad for him when he believed his son to be a coward.

It's interesting that Mr. Lewis had once played Zorro himself. He reminds me alittle of Cesar Romero, with the silver beard and hair. Nice picture of a handsome father and son.

Thanks, Pine.

Barb

A Ponderosa Pine
Site Admin
Site Admin

View all badges

Post by A Ponderosa Pine » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:04 pm

You're welcome, Barb!

And I agree about him looking like Cesar Romero!

I, too, always wanted him to know the true identity of Zorro and be proud of his son, and sometimes I think he suspected it!

Pine

JOE AND WILL FAN
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 13
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: JOE,WILL,ADAM,BEN,HOSS,CLAY

Amazon Buyer Photographer Group Member 100 Posts
Boomers Million Don't Blink Hidden Treasures Summer 2012 Hidden Treasures Thanksgiving
Hidden Treasures Christmas Mix N Match Behind The Scenes SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2013
Easter 2013

View all badges

Post by JOE AND WILL FAN » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:31 pm

A Ponderosa Pine wrote:You're welcome, Barb!

And I agree about him looking like Cesar Romero!

I, too, always wanted him to know the true identity of Zorro and be proud of his son, and sometimes I think he suspected it!

Pine
He does discover it in season 2. some really good episodes.

torie
Drover
Drover
Badges: 110
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019
Mike's Birthday 2018 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Talk Like A Pirate 2018 Game Night 11 Aug 2018 Level 1
Cinco de mayo 2018 BINGO Spare Games Edition Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 Olympics Silver 2018
Lorne Greene Birthday 10th Anniversary Letter T Step Up To 2018 Not So Guilty Pleasures

View all badges

Post by torie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:12 pm

I always liked Zorro's father. He was perfect for the role.

Return to “Zorro”