Mitch Vogel Bio

Cartwright friends is the supporting cast of Bonanza. They include Hop Sing, Sheriff Roy Coffee, Will Cartwright, Doc Martin, Jamie, Griff, Clem, Sam the bartender, Betty Endicott, Bob Miles, Dusty Rhoades & of course, the horses (Buck, Sport, Chubb & Cochise).

Moderator: nyspats

Gillie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Badges: 664
Stories: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Global Moderator St Patrick's Day Puzzlers 2024 Oscar Chat 2024 Lorne Greene Birthday 2024
Valentine's Day Card Guess the Guest Star 5 - 2024 Happy 16th Anniversary Happy New Year 2024
Holiday Participation 2023 Winter Memories 23/24 Deck The Halls Hometown Holiday Dec. 2023
Christmas Bauble 2023 Holiday Music 2023 Dan Birthday 2023 Thanksgiving Recipe 2023

View all badges

Mitch Vogel Bio

Post by Gillie »

Mitch Vogel
Mitch Vogel was born in Alhambra, California on January 17, 1956 gifted with the looks, talent, and personality to be a very successful child actor. His father, Dennis Vogel, was in the construction business. His parents were divorced, and his mother remarried a Marine sergeant. He lived with his mother, step-father, Edward Greenleaf, and a younger half-sister, Kelly, in Mesa, California. His grandmother, Mrs. Maude Awrey, served as his business manager.

Mitch's fascination with acting began when he was ten when his mother took him to see Peter Pan at the Melodyland Theatre in Anaheim. Although he was a guitar enthusiast, when asked whether he would rather take acting lessons or guitar lessons, he choose acting, beginning at the Orange County Performing Arts Foundation. He soon was cast as the lead in "Tom Sawyer," "Heidi," and "The Wizard of Oz" and caught the attention of a Hollywood agent, Evelyn Farney, who got him a professional audition.

Mitch's first credited role was at age 12 playing Tommy North in the 1968 comedy film, Yours, Mine, and Ours. The film is loosely based on the real life blended family of Frank (Henry Fonda) and Helen North Beardsley (Lucile Ball) and their twenty children.

Mitch (waving) as Tommy North with Henry Fonda. Yours, Mine, and Ours 1968
That's Tim Mathieson (aka Griff) as Mike Beardsley holding the child on the right.

Mitch with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda Yours, Mine, and Ours 1968
Mitch’s career steadily grew as he landed roles in The Virginian, Death Valley Days, and Adam-12. Then in 1969, he earned the major role of 11-year old Lucius McCaslin in the film adaptation of William Faulkner’s novel The Reivers. Lucius travels with plantation hand Boon Hoggenback (Steve McQueen) from rural Mississippi to Memphis to visit Boon’s girlfriend. Mitch earned a Golden Glove Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor. The film’s star Steve McQueen was nominated for Best Actor.
Boon and Lucius The Reivers 1969
Mitch appeared in numerous TV films and shows including a guest star appear as Tommy in the 1968 Bonanza episode, "The Real People of Muddy Creek." Tommy and his grandfather were two of only a handful of people that stayed in town to help Ben fight off Cliff Harper and his gang.
Tommy "Real People of Muddy Creek" 1968

Mitch as Jamie McIver in "Menace on the Mountain" The Wonderful World of Disney 1970
Jodie Foster was also in this film as 8 year old Suellen McIver.
In 1970, Mitch was cast as a regular on Bonanza as Jamie Hunter, an orphan taken in by the Cartwrights and adopted. David Dortort reportedly was looking for a younger character who could be on the receiving end of Ben’s fatherly wisdom now that Little Joe was in his mid-30’s.
"We got hired, Mr. Cartwright. We're gonna make rain."
Jamie Hunter "A Matter of Faith" Bonanza 1970

"I'm too big to cry."
Jamie Hunter "A Matter of Faith" Bonanza 1970
Mitch made quite an impression on the Bonanza cast.

Lorne Greene commented in March 1971, "Just for the fun of it, I decided to test him (Mitch) out one day. I wanted to find out what kind of actor he was. Playing a scene with him in rehearsal, I made departures from the script, changing lines and movements. This would rattle most kids who wouldn't be prepared for anything that didn't appear on paper. But Mitch was concentrating on me, not merely the words he had learned, and he responded to my changes perfectly. I realized that this was no ordinary kid actor, but a boy with an unusual talent." (TV Guide, March 1971)

David Canary noted in September 1972, "I returned to the series after an awkward absence. I know the storyline now embraced this young, adoptive Cartwright. So few teens in this field can prove their salt. Watching him, over what, the first ten weeks, I knew Mitch's skills could not be questioned-he's kind of this 27 year old actor residing in an a much more innocent shell." (Wikipedia)

Mitch played the role of Jamie until Bonanza ended in 1972. His friend Michael Landon later cast him as Johnny Johnson in two episodes of Little House on the Prairie in 1974-75. He continued to work in television in episodes of Gunsmoke, The Streets of San Francisco, and others throughout the 70’s, playing roles in 32 credited titles during his ten-year career.
Mitch Vogel with Melissa Gilbert Little House on the Prairie 1972
In 1978 at age 22, Mitch left the TV spotlight, and his acting roles ceased. However his TV appearances were not over for good. In 2002, Vogel returned to Bonanza's locations for the Travel Channel's TV Road Trip. He narrated a look at the Ponderosa Ranch in Incline Village, Nevada. He has also maintained his connection with Bonanza by participating in both the 2005 Bonanza Convention, the 2010 Bonanza Weekend in Liverpool, England, and the 2011 Bonanza Round-up in Los Angeles, California as several Boomers can attest from personal experience!
Bonanza Weekend London 2010 ~ Courtesy of Yelah
Mitch married his wife Christine in 1986 and has two daughters, Shauna and Melanie. He is currently living in Southern California.
Photo courtesy of Yelah
A talented musician, Mitch currently sings in a band and continues to act and direct in amateur productions.
Photo courtesy of Yelah
collage courtesy of Yelah

References
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Vogel
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0900938/
http://www.bobbysherman.com/mitch.htm
TV Guide March 27, 1971

Mitch Vogel bio by Gillie
Last edited by Gillie on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
:bejules Proud Member of BHA
Proud owner of Adam's Guitar, Lafe's Auction June 2016

Adam to Joe: "You heard what he said. We look for little green men riding on hound dogs."
"Well, Jessie, I'm not just sure I pleased you." Jim Boyer
:grimesgirl
:dg

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Cartwright Friends”