Bonanza Season 7 Episodes
ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 106
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam
:
Forum Moderator Summer 2018 Cinco de mayo 2018 Without A Trace 7
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Academy Awards Chat 2018 Olympics Silver 2018
Guess The Guest Star Guest Star POD Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017
Escape To Ponderosa Halloween Recipe 2017 WAT DDD Without A Trace 6
View All Badges

Re: Episode 226 - HER BROTHER’S KEEPER

Postby ellen » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:52 pm

Sharry wrote:Wasn't Joe's mother's name Felicia Marie Cartwright? I thought she just preferred to use Marie with her family and friends.

That's as good an explanation as any, but it was never mentioned on the show. In the pilot, she was "Felicia" and in all subsequent episodes she was "Marie".

I actually have a friend from the Philippines whose first name is "Maria" but her family calls her by her middle name - because all of her 5 sisters also have the first name Maria! (We always called her Maria at work, and I don't even remember what her middle name is.) My first name is Mary but my family has always called me by my middle name too.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Dagburnit
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All

Postby Dagburnit » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:47 pm

That's an interesting observation. Among eastern European Jews it was very common to call someone by his middle name and not his first name, i.e. Yehuda Shimon would be called Shimon, or Sarah Leah would be called Leah. I have never been able to discover why this was the case. Now I am discovering that this is common in other cultures.

Jeanny
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben Cartwright

Postby Jeanny » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:43 am

The episode "Her Brother's Keeper" is one of my favourite. Ben is so impressive in his play to Claire what could give one an impression of the real characters of both these actors (perfect chemistry what somebody mentioned here...).

btw: 'Maria' is a common catholic first name (like Eva for instance). It is usually used together with another name. So, since Little Joe's mom is rooted in France (a very catholic state) it might be possible that her complete name was Felicia Maria. I know a lot of catholic people wearing that special combination of first name construction.

daisy60
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 99
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael
:
Game Night 11 Aug 2018 Level 1 4th of July 2018 FFW 2018 Word Search Cinco de mayo 2018
Without A Trace 7 BINGO Spare Games Edition St. Patrick's Day 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Olympics Gold 2018 Guess The Guest Star Anniversary Puzzler
Balloon Hunt Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Quiz Anniversary Word Puzzle
View All Badges

Postby daisy60 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:49 am

I watch the episode mostly to watch Hoss and Joe get covered in soot! Ben actually looks a bit dashing with his eyepatch. I didn't realize until years later he had an actual accident with his eye. I liked Claire but thought she needed to let go of her clingy brother. He controlled her life and she let him.

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Postby snapdragon » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:37 pm

Just finished watching this episode. Loved it. I like the ones where Ben falls in love. So bittersweet and heartbreaking at the end.

The chimney scene was pretty funny. I'll have to make a gif of it.

I thought Ben was very attractive with the eyepatch. I didn't know it due to a real-life injury to Lorne's eye. Anyone know what happened?

Return to “Season 7”