Episode 208 - DEVIL ON HER SHOULDER

Bonanza Season 7 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 208 - DEVIL ON HER SHOULDER

Postby Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:07 pm

Date: October 17, 1965

Summary: Ben finds himself attracted to Sarah Reynolds, a member of a fanatical religious order. She is accused of being a witch and Ben comes to her rescue.

Written by: Suzanne Clauser
Directed by: Virgil W. Vogel
Guest Stars:Sarah Reynolds...Ina Balin Reverend Evan Morgan...John Doucette Gwylem...Peter Helm Emma Morgan...Adrienne Marden Essie...Angela Dorian Brother...Karl Lukas Betty Endicott...(uncredited extra) Bob Miles..(uncredited extra)

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

Jeanny
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben Cartwright

Re: Episode 208 - DEVIL ON HER SHOULDER

Postby Jeanny » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:14 am

Gradually, I realise that Ben is kissing a woman more often than I expected at a series like Bonanza. But I like it. In comparison to this Episode - the story is maybe too profound putting it into only about 45 minutes.

daisy60
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 115
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael
:
Surprise Level 10 Surprise Level 9 Surprise Level 8 Surprise Level 7
Surprise Level 6 Surprise Level 5 Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Talk Like A Pirate 2018 Don't Blink Guess The Guest Star 2
View All Badges

Postby daisy60 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:28 am

It's always good to see Ben getting the woman for a change! I did feel sorry for Sarah and the way the people turned on her. Ben helped them realize, just in time, that they needed to listen to her instead of accusing her.

Jeanny
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben Cartwright

Postby Jeanny » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:33 am

daisy60 wrote:It's always good to see Ben getting the woman for a change!

Yes, you are right. But it is also sad to see that he is failing everytime when he tries to get THE woman... Know what I mean?!

Sarah is an extraordinary character, strong but vulnerable at the same time. Sympathetic!!

JDGal1987
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 6
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben
:
Valentine's Day 2017 100 Posts BOOMers BOOMbox Lorne Greene Birthday 2017
PODs Stepping Up 2017
View All Badges

Postby JDGal1987 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:02 pm

I especially liked the interaction between Ben and Sarah in this episode. I think it let us view the romantic and passionate side of Ben, or rather Lorne Greene. The subtle ways he comforts Sarah. For instance, after her hair is cut off, Ben reaches around while holding her and places his hand on hers as she's holding her head. And the kiss of the hand at the end and the playful, flirty way he says, "Well?" Mmmhmmm. Makes me swoon just thinking about it. Then the poignant scene with Ben as the train moves away. We see a flood of emotions in his face as he faces sadness, regret, and then moving into resolve. Great acting. Simply great.
“You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.”
– James Froude

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 310
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
:
Forum Moderator Surprise Level 1 Coffee with the Cartwrights Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Guess The Guest Star 2 David's Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Summer Writing Challenge 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Spring Awakens Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Cinco de mayo 2018 Without A Trace 7 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Bonanza Ballads Level 1
View All Badges

Postby Tracy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:19 am

Jeanny wrote: But it is also sad to see that he is failing everytime when he tries to get THE woman... Know what I mean?!

I don't see it as Ben failing, but the women not realizing what a fantastic catch Ben would be!

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 112
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam
:
Forum Moderator Behind The Scenes Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2
Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 Guess The Guest Star 2 Summer 2018
Cinco de mayo 2018 Without A Trace 7 Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018
Academy Awards Chat 2018 Olympics Silver 2018 Guess The Guest Star Guest Star POD
View All Badges

Postby ellen » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:14 pm

I never really liked this episode much, coming so close to "The Strange One". But this was on MeTV today and I watched it again, and I realized that the "occult" part was just due to bad luck and an accusation of the Devil being within this woman.

Anyway, as mentioned above it's always nice to see Ben get a chance at romance. I wish he'd gotten a chance to wear that silver vest!

The person in charge of Sarah's hair should be horsewhipped, though.

Oh, and trivia time: Although IMDB.COM says she was in a couple later episodes, as far as I can tell this was Betty Endicott's last episode. She even got to say a line!
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

daisy60
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 115
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael
:
Surprise Level 10 Surprise Level 9 Surprise Level 8 Surprise Level 7
Surprise Level 6 Surprise Level 5 Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Talk Like A Pirate 2018 Don't Blink Guess The Guest Star 2
View All Badges

Postby daisy60 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:41 pm

I watched this again even though it's on the disc. It's sad the way Sarah was blamed for anything that went wrong with the people in the religious group. Ben tried to protect her and you could see things developing between the two. In the end Sarah left with her people, the way women always do.

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 32
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam
:
Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018
Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork
10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word Not So Guilty Pleasures Dan Blocker Birthday
View All Badges

Postby PlatoofthePonderosa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:31 pm

The opening with the landscape shots/wagon train + the music from 'The Hopefuls' give me deja vu. :laughing This isn't my favorite episode, but I do love that they brought that theme back. One of the most beautiful melodies in fourteen seasons of Bonanza.
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Return to “Season 7”