Episode 206 - THE OTHER SON

Bonanza Season 7 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 206 - THE OTHER SON

Postby Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:05 pm

Date: October 3, 1965

Summary: Ben hires Clint Watson, an expert in explosives, and his two sons, to help transport nitroglycerin across the dangerous mountain range to get to a mining disaster in Virginia City.

Written by: Thomas Thompson
Directed by: William F. Claxton
Guest Stars: Clint Watson...Ed Begley, Sr. Andy Watson...Tom Simcox Ellis Watson...Richard Evans Sheriff Walker...Bing Russell

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 310
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
:
Forum Moderator Surprise Level 1 Coffee with the Cartwrights Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Guess The Guest Star 2 David's Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Summer Writing Challenge 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Spring Awakens Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Cinco de mayo 2018 Without A Trace 7 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Bonanza Ballads Level 1
View All Badges

Re: Episode 206 - THE OTHER SON

Postby Tracy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:48 am

This episode is another one of my favorites. It explores the father/son relationship that is quite different from Ben's relationship with Adam. Even though Pernell is no longer on the show, Adam is mentioned several times in this episode.

The of a father who can not forgive his son whose mother died giving birth is completely different from Ben who cherishes Adam, even though Elizabeth died giving birth.

All but one scene of this episode was shot outside, and the scenery is breathtaking. We get to see Ben, Hoss, and Joe in some new winter coats, as well.

There are two things that bug me in this episode. Shortly after Andy Watson is blown to smithereens by exploding nitro, We hear Hoss and Joe chuckling after a brief, teasing dialogue between them. Are they out of earshot of Andy's grieving father and brother - yes. But I don't think they would have done any teasing or laughing for that matter. Also, at the end of the episode, when everyone but Andy has made it safely down the mountain with their crates of nitro, Joe asks Hoss if he is hungry. Hoss replies, "Naturally. I'm alive, ain't I?" Really?? You've just survived an over-the-mountains trek with nitro, lost a good friend, and you're in the company of a grieving father and brother. Sorry, but someone should have spoken up about that line and had it changed.

Chenoa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 15
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben & Little Joe
:
Without A Trace 6 Talk like a pirate 2017 Spare BINGO Quotes Search BINGO Quotes
Fun With Quotes 2017 Saint Patrick's Day 2017 Countdown to 1,111,111 100 Posts
The Reading Club The Reading Club Oktoberfest 2016 Talk Like A Pirate 2016
St. Patrick's Day 2016 Oscar Chat Meet & Greet Chat
View All Badges

Postby Chenoa » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:47 pm

I can't figure why Ben was in charge of the transport of this dangerous load .
It was Adams idea allright, but why not let the people of the mining company handle the transport? They were going to work with it and probably more used to handle explosives than any of the men :shrug .
Apart from that, I think it is a very good episode; it has me sitting on edge each time I watch it, and I agree with Tracy that it shows how different the two fathers raised their boys, with the same sad background.
"They´re three fine boys Jed...hard workers and a good head on their shoulders...they are close to each other as brothers should be!" Ben in "Springtime"

daisy60
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 115
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael
:
Surprise Level 10 Surprise Level 9 Surprise Level 8 Surprise Level 7
Surprise Level 6 Surprise Level 5 Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Talk Like A Pirate 2018 Don't Blink Guess The Guest Star 2
View All Badges

Postby daisy60 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:15 pm

I recently saw Richard Evens [Ellis] on The Rifleman, playing a not-so-nice kid. I love the episode. It was so sad the way Ellis was treated by his pa and it took the disaster of losing his older son to realize he needed to love the son he has left. I remember holding my breathe when Joe was hanging off the cliff with the box of nitro when I was still a child and I still do to this day! I wonder if all of that joking was actually in the script or was just Dan and Mike joking around a bit tastelessly!

Smorgana
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe
:
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 1 Break The Record Level 2 Break The Record eff 2018
Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Games 1,000 Posts Without A Trace 7
BINGO Spare Games Edition BINGO Gutterball Games Edition Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018
The Reading Club Guess The Guest Star Anniversary Puzzler Balloon Hunt
View All Badges

Postby Smorgana » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:59 pm

I don't recall seeing this episode before watching remastered box set. The scenery is beautiful and I cried out when Joe slipped.

Return to “Season 7”