Episode 204 - THE DILEMMA

Bonanza Season 7 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 204 - THE DILEMMA

Postby Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:02 pm

Date: September 19, 1965

Summary: Ben is appointed as temporary judge in Virginia City. He must decide what to do with a man who admitted his guilt for bank robbery and promises to return the money if he will be set free.

Written by: John and Ward Hawkins
Directed by: William F. Claxton
Guest Stars: Sundown Davis...Tom Tully Billy...Anthony Call Ruth...Elizabeth Perry Drugan...Kelly Thordsen Snell...John Hubbard Powell...John Archer Roy Coffee...Ray Teal Hamilton...Walter Sande Judge O' Hara...Dayton Lummis Hicks...Lincoln Demyan Bob Miles...(uncredited extra) Bill Clark...(uncredited extra)

Slideshow courtesy of January

Dagburnit
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All

Re: Episode 204 - THE DILEMMA

Postby Dagburnit » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:29 pm

Was frontier justice in court for criminal cases without a jury as in this episode? Was it possible for people to serve as judges without a law background?

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 305
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
:
Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Summer Writing Challenge 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 4
Spring Awakens Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Cinco de mayo 2018
Without A Trace 7 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Anniversary Don't Blink
10th Anniversary Letter F Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Dan Blocker Birthday
View All Badges

Postby Tracy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:06 am

Since many Bonanza episodes are not specifically dated, my impression is that Nevada was not yet a state in this one. Territories were, as far as I know, under their own jurisdiction. They had a model to follow, if they so chose.

Ben was the logical choice to be a temporary judge in the area. What's more important in this episode is the conflict - do what many feel is "right" for the town or do what is moral, follow United States judicial practices. You must also take into consideration Ben's ability to read people. He knew he was being fed a lie, and he chose to follow the laws to smoke out the truth.

And Ben is really hot in a judge's robe. :grin

daisy60
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 99
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael
:
Game Night 11 Aug 2018 Level 1 4th of July 2018 FFW 2018 Word Search Cinco de mayo 2018
Without A Trace 7 BINGO Spare Games Edition St. Patrick's Day 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Olympics Gold 2018 Guess The Guest Star Anniversary Puzzler
Balloon Hunt Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Quiz Anniversary Word Puzzle
View All Badges

Postby daisy60 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:16 am

The gist of the episode, from my perspective, the show is based on the Cartwrights. Ben Cartwright was somebody well respected by most people, so when a judge was needed, he may have been voted to be acting judge by drs, the sheriff, teachers, etc. Many judges traveled from city to city at that time and didn't live in the area.

desertgal
Drover
Drover
Badges: 18
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam
:
Group Member 100 Posts 1,000 Posts Video
Cartwright Generosity Fun Topic Starter Guest Star Bio FanFic Writer Badge
Leave The Lights On Healthy, Wealthy & Wise Healthy, Wealthy & Wise New Year's
Meet & Greet chat Stuffed in chat Stuffed in chat Pernell’s Birthday 2011
View All Badges

Postby desertgal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:51 pm

Dagburnit wrote:Was frontier justice in court for criminal cases without a jury as in this episode?

Sometimes.

Was it possible for people to serve as judges without a law background?

Quite possible, & it often happened, along with folks practicing law without benefit of graduating or even attending law school. The Nevada Bar Association didn't exist then. For more info about real life frontier justice, Google is your friend.

Otherwise, in this case, Ben also got to be a judge because the script said so. That's how it works on television.

eniblick
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 11
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam
:
Stuffed In Chat Group Member 100 Posts The Reading Club
The Reading Club Game Night 10 Olympic Trivia Quiz Olympics 2016
School Daze Meet & Greet Chat Pernell Roberts 2016
View All Badges

Postby eniblick » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:12 am

I saw this episode for the first time the otehr day when I received my Season 8 boxed set. It was a great pleaseure to see a "new" Bonanza. I thought it was a bit far fetched that Ben was appointed judge, but did make sense in the context of a leading citizen with good moral compass.

I liked this episode!!

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights
:
BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016
View All Badges

Postby Calamity » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:24 pm

This one was a little too far fetched for me. I could completely understand when Ben was asked to decide about the children in Blessed Are They, but this seemed to me to be a legal matter that the territorial judge would have resolved.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

Smorgana
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 39
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe
:
Break The Record eff 2018 Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Games 1,000 Posts
Without A Trace 7 BINGO Spare Games Edition BINGO Gutterball Games Edition Stuffed In Chat 2018
Meet & Greet Chat 2018 The Reading Club Guess The Guest Star Anniversary Puzzler
Balloon Hunt Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Quiz Anniversary Word Puzzle
View All Badges

Postby Smorgana » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:46 pm

As a lawyer I struggle with non-lawyers being judges - if only it were that easy! I did like the courtroom in many episodes they seemed to have make shift rooms.

I have been watching lots of Bonanza episodes lately and the one thing that drives me nuts is the seeming ever changing bedroom layouts and designs (and possibly numbers). This episode introduces a study! I don't recall seeing the study in other episodes. It seems to be on the ground floor on the opposite side of the house to the kitchen.

Return to “Season 7”