Episode 122 - THE ACTRESS

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 122 - THE ACTRESS

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:24 pm

Date: February 24, 1963

Summary: Actress Julia Grant comes to town and falls for Little Joe.

Written by: Norman Lessing
Directed by: Christian Nyby
Guest Stars: Pat Crowley (Julia Grant), John Rodney (Edwin Booth)

Slideshow courtesy of Bejules

Drifter
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 10
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

PODs Oscar Chat 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Christmas 2018
Hidden Treasures Halloween 2018 Time For A Commercial Break 4 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 New Member Post

View all badges

Re: Episode 122 - THE ACTRESS

Post by Drifter » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:03 pm

I happened to watch this yesterday. I can’t speak for all of Joe’s love interests, but I must say, I found Julia especially annoying for an older woman, Joe had more maturity than she did. I tried listening to her passionate speeches about her dreams in acting...it all sounded frivolous and silly...especially how she spoke of Edwin Booth and actors she didn’t really know.

I’m not suggesting it’s wrong to be passionate about goals, but despite offers for assistance, she was determined to sink or swim while having a child along for the ride. I felt sorry for her son, Tommy. He really wanted what was best for his mother even though I thought she was selfish for dragging him along everywhere without a chance to settle anywhere. She’d tell him they’re leaving one minute, change her mind the next minute and make him pack and unpack all over again. Even after she was finally getting her “chance in the spotlight,” there was all this talk of her fame and fortune and no thought to her son’s best interest.

I’m actually glad Joe realized she was too in love with the spotlight to settle down with him. Imagine him supporting her son and her wavering between success and struggle, and leaving his home for that kind of unsteady lifestyle of acting. I think he would’ve resented it after a while.

A part of me hopes Julia would chase her dreams and have sense enough to leave Tommy with a family that would give him the support and attention he would’ve needed.

daisy60
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 133
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer
Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Winter 2018/2019
Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving questions 2018 Thanksgiving 2018 Sadie Hawkins Day 2018

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:48 pm

I agree, Julia was annoying! I have no idea what Joe saw in her. :mad All she cared about was her career and she wasn't much of an actress or singer to me. :shrug

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 57

Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 Out Of The Blue 11th Anniversary
Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Without A Trace 8 Time For A Commercial Break 4
Surprise Level 1 Fun with Captions Level 1 4th of July 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:53 pm

This episode may not be one of the best, but it has always interested me for one very particular reason...the revelation that Adam was friends with the famous actor Edwin Booth. Being very much a theater person, I am intrigued by the idea of that relationship. Since I noticed that there were a couple of new comments about the episode, I decided to post a short story that I had written some time ago about how Adam and Edwin might have met.

https://www.bonanzaboomers.com/forums/v ... 98&t=34456

debpet2 :adam

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 41

Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 Out Of The Blue 10th Anniversary Letter J
11th Anniversary Christmas 2018 Hidden Treasures Without A Trace 8
Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 1

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:12 pm

This is not a great episode and not a very good Joe episode. Everyone tries to help this girl and she is very self absorbed. I forget if she wears a blue dress or not but certainly glad she got to be an actress elsewhere.

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 299
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer
Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3
Reader's Choice Level 1 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019
Dan's Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 8 Mike's Birthday 2018 Surprise Level 3

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:07 am

debpet2 wrote: Since I noticed that there were a couple of new comments about the episode, I decided to post a short story that I had written some time ago about how Adam and Edwin might have met.

https://www.bonanzaboomers.com/forums/v ... 98&t=34456

debpet2 :adam
That's interesting, Three years ago, I read a biography about Edwin and John Wilkes Booth. I used that as the basis of a story I wrote back in 2016 for March Mystery Month, a now-defunct feature we had. I'm not bothering to post the link but I found Adam's and Edwin's relationship interesting as well. Since Adam -- in the episode -- says he knew Edwin since college, it implies Edwin may have gone to college but he didn't. I have Adam, having been convinced by Edwin to participate, appearing as a supernumerary in a production of R&J in my opening chapter ... and then someone is murdered and so on and so on....

One day I'll have to read your story. :yes

As for the episode...meh. Patricia Crowley, although lovely, is shrill and annoying. Glad Joe comes to his senses. But Adam has her number early on.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
debpet2
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 41

Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 Out Of The Blue 10th Anniversary Letter J
11th Anniversary Christmas 2018 Hidden Treasures Without A Trace 8
Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 1

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:28 pm

[quote="Adamant

As for the episode...meh. Patricia Crowley, although lovely, is shrill and annoying. Glad Joe comes to his senses. But Adam has her number early on.[/quote]
I have to agree. I never cared for her acting. She plays herself. This was how she acted in Please Don’t Eat The Daisies TV Show. :puke

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 35

11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2 Fun with Captions Level 1
BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler Anniversary Don't Blink
10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork Step Up To 2018
Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember Escape To Ponderosa

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:27 pm

The lovely Julia Grant sure was career oriented, I'll say that for her! Don't know how devoted a wife she would have made for Joe. :whistling

I can't fault her completely. She was ambitious and went after what she wanted. I sometimes wonder if this episode was written as an almost "inside joke" about some actors and how they can be so single minded in their quest for fame. The BZ script writers were obviously very familiar with the acting profession. The most successful actors never give up. They go to countless auditions. They will pursue a role, pursue fame, etc, often neglecting their families.

I don't think Julia did anything really wrong in taking her young son with her. What was she supposed to do with him? Leave him with relatives? In the flashback episode, "Elizabeth, My Love", Ben takes an infant Adam on a long journey west to pursue HIS dream. And at that time, the early 1830's, a trip west was really rough and filled with dangers.

Drifter
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 10

PODs Oscar Chat 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Christmas 2018
Hidden Treasures Halloween 2018 Time For A Commercial Break 4 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Drifter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:15 am

While Ben went west, but Ben made sacrifices if needed be. When Adam got sick, he stopped his journey, found a way for him to get medicine when he needed it; and went and begged and took what job he could. I don’t doubt Ben would’ve gone without if it meant Adam would be fed first. And Ben has shown repeatedly he’d give up everything for his family/sons.She didn’t even really want the teaching job which would’ve given her some income so she could still support both of them while acting on the side. I just got the sense Julia would still be going even if Tommy struggled along. And perhaps there’s a reason a good portion of successful actors have gotten divorced multiple times/can’t stay married. Sometimes the price one pays for more success at the expense of her family.

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 121

Forum Moderator Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019 Out Of The Blue
Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018 Sadie Hawkins Day 2018
Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes Coffee with the Cartwrights
Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 Guess The Guest Star 2

View all badges

Post by ellen » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:36 pm

PJudith wrote: I can't fault her completely. She was ambitious and went after what she wanted. I sometimes wonder if this episode was written as an almost "inside joke" about some actors and how they can be so single minded in their quest for fame. The BZ script writers were obviously very familiar with the acting profession. The most successful actors never give up. They go to countless auditions. They will pursue a role, pursue fame, etc, often neglecting their families.
So true. I suspect most actors and actresses in Hollywood are just like Julia.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Return to “Season 4”