The Big Valley

If you like the westerns we’re currently discussing, you may have liked other western TV shows. So why don’t we discuss them here! Post about western conventions (non Bonanza), the shows, the actors and anything you want to discuss.

Moderator: Tracy

ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 164
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Forum Moderator Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Host Valentine's Day Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019
Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 Cinco de mayo 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Challenge Games Edition Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018
BINGO Host Games Edition Valentine's Day 2018 20,000 Posts Anniversary Puzzler 10th Anniversary Letter C

View all badges

Re: The Big Valley

Post by ellie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:08 pm

. :innocent

BuckAndCochise
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 26
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben & Candy

Oscar Chat2017 Group Member 100 Posts 1,000 Posts 5,000 Posts
Fun Topic Starter PODs History of the Old West POD FanFic Writer Badge In The Headlines
September Song 2013 Sadie Hawkins Day 2013 Hoss' Excellent Adventure Postcards From The Past Holiday Postcards 2013
The Heat Is On Talk Like A Pirate Day 9/19/13 SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2013 Summer 2013 Summer 2014

View all badges

Post by BuckAndCochise » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:45 pm

Adamant wrote:
Tracy wrote:When Jarrod married, I believe he'd only known her for a week or so. He just showed up back home married.
Didn't they meet on a train and when I came time for her (for him) to debark, they decided to marry?
Yeah. Met on a train when he was coming back from Washington. They had been married for three days when they returned to Stockton.
"I'm gonna have a little sit down and feel sorry for myself." - Arthur Morgan

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 124
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day
Reader's Choice Level 2 Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Valentine's Day 2019 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Out Of The Blue
Reader's Choice Level 1 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Winter 2018/2019
Guest Star POD 5,000 Posts Christmas 2018 Dan's Birthday 2018 Prop Fiction

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:30 pm

I watched an episode a day or two ago, that concerned a gold shipment on a Barkley riverboat that went down during the Civil War. Well, in one scene, Nick gets shot in the head. Next day, he's at home and walking around. Toward the end of the episode, he gets shot again, in the right shoulder.That took place in a mine. The final end scene, he's standing in front of the fireplace, having a drink, talking with Jarrod, and the bandages on the left side. Coincidence? :laughing
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
PJudith
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 164
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Forum Moderator Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Host Valentine's Day Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019
Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 Cinco de mayo 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Challenge Games Edition Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018
BINGO Host Games Edition Valentine's Day 2018 20,000 Posts Anniversary Puzzler 10th Anniversary Letter C

View all badges

Post by ellie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:19 pm

Nick being shot in the head ... that boy was SERIOUSLY hard headed. Probably hurt the bullet more than it did the man.

Shoulder ... I'm going with "reverse screen." Yeah, that's it.

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 35
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2 Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition
Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word
Anniversary Poem or Artwork Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember
Escape To Ponderosa WAT DDD Without A Trace 6 School Daze II 2017 Spare BINGO Quotes

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:43 pm

It IS amazing how many gunshots the Barkleys and Cartwrights survived without modern medicine! I know the injuries were usually in the shoulder or extremities. But we are talking shattered bones, torn muscles, blood loss, and infections since there were no antibiotics,etc.

Those guys were superhuman and a gunshot was no worse than a sprained ankle! :laughing
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post:
littlejoenice

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day
Reader's Choice Level 2 Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Valentine's Day 2019 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Out Of The Blue
Reader's Choice Level 1 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Winter 2018/2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:08 am

PJudith wrote:It IS amazing how many gunshots the Barkleys and Cartwrights survived without modern medicine! I know the injuries were usually in the shoulder or extremities. But we are talking shattered bones, torn muscles, blood loss, and infections since there were no antibiotics,etc.

Those guys were superhuman and a gunshot was no worse than a sprained ankle! :laughing
Kind of reminds you of the Cartwrights, huh? What was it Doc Martin said, in the episode, "The Lawmaker"? Ben asked him if Adam was going to be all right after he'd been hit with a gun butt and the doc replied, "He'll be all right, but only because he inherited that thick Cartwright skull." Think Tom Barkley had the same hard head? :ha
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
PJudith
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 35
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2 Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition
Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word
Anniversary Poem or Artwork Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember
Escape To Ponderosa WAT DDD Without A Trace 6 School Daze II 2017 Spare BINGO Quotes

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:43 pm

Actually a "thick skull" may have saved Adam. And saved Nick Barkley too!

I don't know if you are familiar with the late author Ann Rule. She wrote many true crime books. In one of her books years ago she wrote about a serial killer out on the west coast. He shot a young woman in the head and she recovered and was fine. According to the doctors who worked on her, she luckily had a VERY thick skull. It was one of those medical anomalies. The bones in her head were so thick that they deflected the bullet rather than shattering. So lucky for her.

Maybe some of our western heroes had those "special' bone structures. Who knows? They were pretty lucky!

BuckAndCochise
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 26
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben & Candy

Oscar Chat2017 Group Member 100 Posts 1,000 Posts 5,000 Posts
Fun Topic Starter PODs History of the Old West POD FanFic Writer Badge In The Headlines
September Song 2013 Sadie Hawkins Day 2013 Hoss' Excellent Adventure Postcards From The Past Holiday Postcards 2013
The Heat Is On Talk Like A Pirate Day 9/19/13 SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2013 Summer 2013 Summer 2014

View all badges

Post by BuckAndCochise » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:47 pm

littlejoenice wrote:I watched an episode a day or two ago, that concerned a gold shipment on a Barkley riverboat that went down during the Civil War. Well, in one scene, Nick gets shot in the head. Next day, he's at home and walking around. Toward the end of the episode, he gets shot again, in the right shoulder.That took place in a mine. The final end scene, he's standing in front of the fireplace, having a drink, talking with Jarrod, and the bandages on the left side. Coincidence? :laughing
I got bored one day and started keeping a tally of injuries and so far, Jarrod had been shot in the head and the back, Nick in the arms more times than I can count, Heath's was his arms and legs.

They got that Cartwright Invincibility.
These users thanked the author BuckAndCochise for the post:
littlejoenice
"I'm gonna have a little sit down and feel sorry for myself." - Arthur Morgan

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:24 pm

BuckAndCochise wrote:
littlejoenice wrote:I watched an episode a day or two ago, that concerned a gold shipment on a Barkley riverboat that went down during the Civil War. Well, in one scene, Nick gets shot in the head. Next day, he's at home and walking around. Toward the end of the episode, he gets shot again, in the right shoulder.That took place in a mine. The final end scene, he's standing in front of the fireplace, having a drink, talking with Jarrod, and the bandages on the left side. Coincidence? :laughing
I got bored one day and started keeping a tally of injuries and so far, Jarrod had been shot in the head and the back, Nick in the arms more times than I can count, Heath's was his arms and legs.

They got that Cartwright Invincibility.
That's terrific, BuckandCochise! But when are you going to start with the bonks on the head? :rotfl

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:25 pm

PJudith wrote:It IS amazing how many gunshots the Barkleys and Cartwrights survived without modern medicine! I know the injuries were usually in the shoulder or extremities. But we are talking shattered bones, torn muscles, blood loss, and infections since there were no antibiotics,etc.

So true! :yes

Return to “There Were Other Westerns?”