Guy Williams as Will Cartwright

Guy Williams was Zorro before he was Will Cartwright.

Moderator: patina

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 285
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam
:
Forum Moderator Librarian Thanksgiving questions 2018 Sadie Hawkins Day 2018
Thanksgiving 2018 Without A Trace 8 Halloween 2018 Mike's Birthday 2018
Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 1
Break The Record Level 2 Guess The Guest Star 2 Feedback Corral Game Night 11 Aug 2018 Level 1
View All Badges

Re: Guy Williams as Will Cartwright

Postby patina » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:18 pm

I've begun reading Guy Williams' biography, Behind the Mask. GW decided to leave because of the manner in which he was being treated by the other Bonanza cast members. Therefore, it was easy to write Will and Laura out at the same time.

I wish Will could have stayed around and appeared as a recurring character as there was a lot of potential there. The writers could have killed off Laura in The Pressure Game when the Bonner brothers ran her over and then Will could have bought Laura's ranch and adopted Peggy.

PR realized that he wasn't going to be able to get out of his contract, which required him to stay with the show through a 6th season (LG, PR, DB, and ML signed contracts at the end of the 1st season that committed them to remain with the series for 5 more seasons). Whether or not GW had remained, PR would have had to stay on through the 6th season.
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

Anotherleftyjoe715
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Postby Anotherleftyjoe715 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:24 am

Guy Williams would have been a perfect replacement for Pernell Roberts. Will would have had the thoughtfulness and presence of Adam, but also would have been a new and distinctive character as well. So many storylines could have been made from his past before coming to live at the Ponderosa.
The only possible solace of Williams not joining the cast comes from the fact that Williams' 3 or so yrs combined with Robert's 5 prior yrs would have had Bonanza in the same format for 8 or 9 consecutive seasons or so. Eight or nine yrs might have made the show become predictable and maybe it would have been cancelled around 1967 or 1968 . The way it worked out David Canary's addition in 1967 reenergized the show and sent it on a different more traditional western direction. Similarly Canary's departure allowed Mitch Vogel to help the show come back to its roots as a show about a strong, close-knit family.

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 34
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam
:
Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2 Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition
Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S
Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017
Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember Escape To Ponderosa WAT DDD
View All Badges

Postby PJudith » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:47 am

"killed off Laura...when the Bonner brothers ran her over." :lol I am so evil to laugh at that but :rotfl

It is ironic that someone as dumb as Laura managed to live so long when other, smarter Cartwright women died under unfortunate circumstances, but that's life!

I think cousin Will would have been a fine addition to the show had PR left at the end of the season. But from all the rumors I have read, the cast did not want a new handsome co-star. Actors egos and all that I guess.

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright
:
Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5
View All Badges

Postby RedShirt » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:37 pm

Hmmmm. Perfect replacement? Nope.
Yeah, Will fits in Adam's shirt, but that's not the same thing. On the other hand, that seems to have been a really good suggestion about Laura. :wink

By the time we meet Will we've had several years to watch Adam -- for lack of a better phrase -- mature. In the pilot episode he's practically a cold-blooded killer, period: he does his dead level best to whip Joe, he's perfectly willing to draw a sidearm and fire on a trespasser who's not armed, he manhandles the actress, nearly breaking her arm (and tells her he will break it, in fact), and we see him step into the gunfight probably meant to have been arranged for Ben as if that's his natural role, and he seems primarily to be "the dangerous one."

By the time we meet Will what we know about the Cartwrights is that they are all, in different ways and under different provocations, "the dangerous one," but it's Adam who's NOT a gambler, who's NOT a man given to take risks he hasn't thought through, who's NOT impulsive. Will gives me the impression that he's exactly the opposite of Adam.
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 39
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell
:
Surprise Level 5 Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2
Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018
Summer 2018 Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle
10th Anniversary Letter U Escape To Ponderosa Step Up To 2018 Not So Guilty Pleasures
View All Badges

Postby manulanee » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Actually I think he is too "nice" and without any effective outlining of his character.
If we can compare them at all (apples and oranges, you know), the one episode with Clay Stafford as Joe's half-brother gave a lot more immediate characterization and a potential for more episodes because of the discussions and problems coming up with his personality.
It's not Will's or Guy's fault, but I just can't warm to Will Cartwright.
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
:
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5
View All Badges

Postby RedShirt » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:03 am

The first episode with Will aired today, and my beloved called me for lunch
as Ben was riding out of the town in the buckboard with the covered casket
in the back. I wish I could record MeTV but it's OTA here, not on my DVR.
Sigh.
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 105
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam
:
Prop Fiction NaNoWriMo 2018 Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 2 Halloween 2018 Fan Fic Fun Level 2
Mike's Birthday 2018 Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3
Time For A Commercial Break 4 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Coffee with the Cartwrights
View All Badges

Postby littlejoenice » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:10 pm

RedShirt wrote:The first episode with Will aired today, and my beloved called me for lunch
as Ben was riding out of the town in the buckboard with the covered casket
in the back. I wish I could record MeTV but it's OTA here, not on my DVR.
Sigh.

Have you tried watching it online? I know you can find it on YouTube.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
:
View All Badges

Postby RedShirt » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:36 am

Might have to get a set of the DVDs and watch on my computer.

JOE AND WILL FAN
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 12
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: JOE,WILL,ADAM,BEN,HOSS,CLAY
:
Photographer Group Member 100 Posts Boomers Million
Don't Blink Hidden Treasures Summer 2012 Hidden Treasures Thanksgiving Hidden Treasures Christmas
Mix N Match Behind The Scenes SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2013 Easter 2013
View All Badges

Postby JOE AND WILL FAN » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 pm

RedShirt wrote:Might have to get a set of the DVDs and watch on my computer.

It's well worth the money! I have all the seasons they have released so far. Wish they would release the other seasons.

Return to “Zorro”